Sleeper vs Hotel

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BigNorm4Life, Oct 24, 2021.

1. BigNorm4Life

BigNorm4Life Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    I would love to hear some insight from Owner Operators new and veterans

Does operating in a Daycab and doing your 10/36 hour reset in a hotel vs going the traditional truckers route with Sleeping in a trucks stop or where ever?

Assuming you're in a New Emissions Truck.... I believe it make perfect sense to stay in hotels

1) Wear & Tear is a big one... especially nowadays because reducing idling time would maximize your maintence intervals on engine and emissions componets

2) Fuel cost... enough said You'll be saving ALOT of money on not idiling your engine for hours on end... hell In my head I can't imagine why you wouldn't drop a trailer with a king pin lock installed and go fuel at a smaller station with cheaper diesel prices versus paying for the high ### fuel at a truck stop

3) Maximizing Hours of Service..... We all know how are country's infrastructure is crap and truck parking is a constant issue to deal with... Ive been to dozens of hotels and 90% of them have plenty of space for parking a tractor trailer even when crowded... traffic aside I've never had to worry about pushing the clock on bad days up until the 10 min mark and not being in fear of violating HOS... I know were I'll be at Off duty and can plan around that fact

Cons

1) its an Extra Expense either way... it would save you money in the long term but short term its an extra expense either way

2) Depending on what you're hauling either way.... Being held up be loaded or unloaded is a big hassle to deal with...Ive read and heard of the horror stories about being held up for 6 hours or more... this is where a sleeper makes the MOST SENSE

I can't think of anything else at the moment... I would love hear from the people who's actually in the business on what I'm missing here and why its still better to have a sleeper either way

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    in the end, a sleeper truck may be the way to go.

the costs of motel rooms, even with a truckers discount will add up. then you have to find motels with extra parking for big rigs.

you cannot just pull over and nap in a day cab, i know, i did for many years, running from MA to VA, but what i mean is in comfort and legally. and no, a board across the seats is not comfort, and no, leaning over the steering wheel is not comfort either.

you'll also most likely do better at resale time as well, with a sleeper.

and it don't gotta be fancy.

Vampire Thanks this.
  4. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Just get an APU for the sleeper truck.

Vampire Thanks this.
  5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Based on all the empirical evidence - no a hotel does not make more fiscal sense than a sleeper truck.

As a for example when I have a female trainee they need a hotel room every night. Often the hotel with truck parking is either off route, requires stopping very early, or is expensive as heck. For the hotels that have 'truck parking', what happens when they have space for three trucks are you're the fifth truck that reserves a room? How long do you spend trying to find that hotel room in the first place?

If getting hotels made any kind of sense financially then all the megas would be going that route. Even with my company's considerable pull we are paying $70 a night for my trainee this week. Over the course of a year you're looking at least $10,000 in hotel costs. That will easily pay for an apu and all associated maintenance.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    For a 34 reset hotel is a must. You truly feel rested after sleeping two nights in a normal bed.

7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    For the record, I hate taking a 34 in the truck.

That said, most hotels don't leave me better rested.

homeskillet, Bean Jr. and Opus Thank this.
  8. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    I wouldn't drive any sleeper truck without an Apu. People who do, are stupid or bad at math. If you keep your emissions intact, and have no Apu, make sure you get a white Volvo and run the ports until you go broke. Waking up to a dead battery happens. Apu starts on a dead battery at 10 volts. Trucks use almost 1 gallon an hour to idle and provide ac. Apu uses about 0.3 an hour, or less.

Daycab are great if you do short local runs, but the first time you tick beyond your 14 hour, you will curse your life. Get a regional sleeper, at least.

Dino soar and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  9. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    We only run day cabs. When we occasionally have to get a hotel, I can tell you hotels are getting expensive. Lots of locations we end up staying in you can figure $100+ a night, unless you don’t mind sleeping with roaches and bed bugs.

cke, Vampire and gentleroger Thank this.
  10. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Guys, put a normal mattress in your truck....

Twin XL fits fine.

Get the most expensive one they sell.

Mine is 16" thick, and is more comfortable than my home bed.

11. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    20211024_175709.jpg
    Hotels do have some advantages...

JoeyJunk, Bean Jr., Capacity and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.