Sleeping in daycabs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mr. EastCoast, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I thought the advantage of driving local in a day cab was getting to "sleep in my own bed" every day?

Dino soar, tarmadilo and Dennixx Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Senior year moving 'transfers' for Ryder. Sent from Scranton to Pennsburg [west of Quakertown] driving a Ryder box to the shop to bring back two new sets of decked flats & two new tractors. Passenger was a Ryder supplied driver, just back from Boston.

In 1972 the NE extension of the PA Turnpike resembled a bomb cratered runway. I felt bad for my passenger, sleeping as sound as possible as his head bounced off the passenger window for over an hour...don't know how he did it.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I sleep like a baby.

I toss and turn and cry all night and crap my pants at 3 in the morning. o_O

JolliRoger, Badmon, Magoo1968 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Drive nights for years you’ll be able to sleep anywhere. I can now park lean back in the seat and fall asleep. I used never or rarely nap during the day before I became a night driver.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    After working in the oil patch when all we had were day cabs, I learned to NEVER do either of those... even when pulled over and stopped. It develops a bad habit and subconsciously you're telling yourself it's okay to sleep behind the wheel.

7. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Lol, thats funny, never had trouble sleeping during the day, when i was in the daycab on a regular shuttle, sun would start to come up and id get sleepy. Sucked napping in it but better crappy sleep than driving tired

Radman Thanks this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Those are the guys 3 weeks from retirement with convenient schedules. The other 90% of drivers are going to work at 9pm or 2am and spending their time off sacrificing sleep to avoid divorce

Badmon and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    When i was doing team food service we had a 3hr nap halfway through the run. Whoever was driving home got the bunk so the other person got the seat. The box that the straws came in was a perfect fit between the seats so you could stretch out and be comfortable Lol

10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I guess if you have no choice and you have to sleep in a day cab that's one thing...

But I absolutely love my sleeper and I would never ever trade that for anything.

lovesthedrive and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Can do that with a bunk truck too and not be miserable if you do actually get stuck somewhere

Badmon and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.