Sleeping Masks

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by dan_n_kc, Apr 12, 2019.

1. dan_n_kc

dan_n_kc Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Kansas City Metro
    Does anybody have any suggestions on a good sleeping mask for day sleeping?
    Does anybody have any suggestions for ear plugs?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i never used the mask. as for ear plugs, i always used the rubber ones, not the foam..but either way, they only muffle some of the noise, not all of it.

i just made the room as dark as possible..

when i had a sleeper truck, it was pretty darned dark with the curtain drawn. but some trucks, have an "air gap" at the bottom of that curtain, so i'd use a dirty towel on the floor to cover that up....

4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Mack’s ear plugs are THE BEST!! And, if you’re looking for a CPAP mask, I swear by the Quattro FX mask. Best sleep of my life.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

While it might be unwise for a driver to admit to wearing earplugs while driving. I will say I know a driver that has worn them almost every hour the truck is running for years. That driver tells me he has never found any ear plugs as comfortable as AOSafety Sleep/Rest ear plugs. Those ear plugs are no longer made. The nearest substitute for those are the Hearos Extreme Ear Plugs. Those plugs are commonly available at Walmart, Kroger Grocery Stores, Amazon. They have a noise reduction rating of 31dB. Look specifically for ear plugs that emphasize "soft", "smooth", or a NRR of 30 or higher. The way they achieve a high NRR is by making the ear plugs soft ans squishy enough you can insert them farther into the ear canal. You might also consider dipping them in water, or putting some saliva on them just before inserting. You will need some sort of lubrication if you wear them often or for a long time.
    Stay away from straight-sided or cylinder shaped ear plugs, like the EAR brand. Those usually have rough texture sides, which quickly becomes uncomfortable. I think the Hearos Extreme costs about $5-7 for a pack of 14. I am told you can wear the same ear plugs for a week or longer if you don't lose them. If you ever leave them in your pockets when your clothes are washed they become much much softer but they spring back to full size too fast to be inserted in your ear. The key to ear plugs is try them until you find what works for you.

As for sleep masks, I found my sleeper curtain blocks light much better without trapping heat on my face. I'm hot-natured so anything that isn't cooling is nearly too hot for my consideration.

6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I pull the curtains, and just drape a dark t-shirt over my face.

I don't need plugs. I have no APU, and my company allows me to idle as much as I want. The diesel rumble rocks me to sleep.

7. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Over the last 13-14 yrs I’ve been on graveyard shift and have gone through a bunch of eye masks. For me, I’ve found that the extra flap over the nose makes a night and day difference. Just that little spot of light drives me nuts. It’s also nice to have the ones that raise up off the eyelid, especially at first. You can find them for cheap at places like Target. There’s also ones you can put in the freezer first but they’re heavier.

8. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    As far as full-face PAP masks that’s one of the best. It’s light and doesn’t leak much air if it was fit properly.

Puppage Thanks this.
  9. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I’m cheap, got a large cardboard box and cut out pieces to block out my windows. Works great, it’s not pitch dark (I didn’t try very hard for a perfect fit), but it wouldn’t be that hard to get it that way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.