Sleeping medication

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by number1usJoe, Jan 28, 2007.

1. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My personal opinion is to "NOT DRIVE A TRUCK ON THEM" because they saw that many people on Ambien was waking up in the middle of the night and doing things they had no clue they was doing! It is scary so I saw! You might be at your terminal and mad at the Driver Manager and go in and do something crazy without knowing (honestly sounds like me, WITHOUT THE AMBIEN and being my boss; l.o.l., j/k)
    So you might watch it regardless of what DOT states; but if DOT does not warn you from them; GO FOR IT! But I don't want you in any "blind" trouble it may cause! :smt023

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    i am doing a google search on your request, but i'm coming up empty. i have been trying to use different wordings in order to get the results i want as well. when i get them, i will post them here in this thread.

4. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    391.41(b)(12)
    A person is physically qualified to drive a commercial vehicle if that person:
    Does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11, Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug.
    Exception: A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the driver's medical history and assigned duties; and has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver's ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle.
    1.41(b)(12)

A person is physically qualified to drive a commercial vehicle if that person:
    Does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11, Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug.
    Exception: A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the driver's medical history and assigned duties; and has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver's ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now, these are the banned drugs

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/cfr/1308/1308_11.htm

as far as "doctor approved" i would consult with a doctor that is DOT certified, before i talk with the "ordinary general practioner"...........

5. mArTmAn

mArTmAn Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Greenville, MS
    The best non narcardic sleep aid that I have found is Melatonin. I works for me and it cheap and over the counter.

"Melatonin is the all-natural nightcap. It's secreted by the pineal gland, a pea-size structure at the center of the brain, as our eyes register the fall of darkness."

This stuff works for me and when I worked a rotating schedule I had all kinds of problem sleeping until I used this. I didn't use it all the time but only when I changed schedules. The key is when you take this you must get in bed and get yourself in a sleep position. Don't take it and try to stay up and watch tv or do something else because it will not make you drowsy like a narcardic.

If you want more info go here http://www.melatonin.com/

I hope it helps!

Marty

6. littlebit

littlebit Light Load Member

May 27, 2006
    Prodriver that link you gave is a list of schedule 1 drugs as regulated by the federal government. It really has nothing to do with the dot. All drugs fall into one of four catagories. They range from schedule 1 which is drugs like morphine and oxycotin to schedule 4 wich is ibuprophen and tylenol.

7. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I will try hard tomorrow to find the answer to this, but what I am thinking is there isn't a "list" but there is what was mentioned above Narcotics, amphetamines etc. explains and leaves it open daily because new drugs come out etc, they "may" not make a "list". They cover it all by making the narcotic drugs, amphetmine as a group instead of individual!

Let me check

8. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I will try hard tomorrow to find the answer to this, but what I am thinking is there isn't a "list" but there is what was mentioned above Narcotics, amphetamines etc. explains and leaves it open daily because new drugs come out etc, they "may" not make a "list". They cover it all by making the narcotic drugs, amphetmine as a group instead of individual!

Let me check to

9. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Let me check to make

10. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Let me check to make sure

11. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Let me check to make sure, bu

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.