Sleeping on the shoulder on exit

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Alshen1975, May 28, 2019.

1. Alshen1975

Alshen1975 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Hello all
    I was sleeping on the exit shoulder on i81
    On Virginia the police came and gave me ticket and asked me to move i told him i tired let me sleep and he refused and told me i have to move
    Then i start moving get back on i81 then i cant remember any thing i wake up on the hospital
    My truck and my load where total lost
    Lucky i just went of the road the truck flipped couple times and landed on trees
    My question is can the police get blamed
    Even i told him im tired you give me the ticket let me sleep and he force me to drive

Corn-Fed, Coffey and 6wheeler Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Oh my.
    I hope you're alright. And I'm sorry you got hurt.

But, the short answer to your question is, no, they can't force you to drive. They can tow you, but they can't force you to drive.

And they did not. You chose to drive.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What's disgusting is those same state troopers will pull you over and give you a DOT inspection on the shoulder of the highway, where it's illegal to park.

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    no, the police are basically blameless, they are enforcing the laws we all gripe about when we see something happen, and there is no cop around, when you need one.

the cop did not force you to drive, you did that on your own.

i think it goes to be said, if there is another "next time" you need to find a place to stop, legally and get your rest, like in a rest area, truck stop, shopping mall, etc.

you have to be more concerned now that you had a major wreck, and whether or not you still have a job, since you fell asleep at the wheel.....

6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Yep. You got much, much bigger fish to fry

7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Ramps and the shoulder of an interstate should never be utilized as a parking option when you need a nap. Only for emergency breakdowns etc etc... Starting to see this way to much out here.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You moved the truck.

What should have happened was the truck never moved and you are arrested and taken. Then the Courts will decide whats legal or not when the Law says move it vs your too tired to move it.

I always tried to get rested where the Law wont bother me, but once in a while it was unavoidable. Those times the lawman would know I am pretty far gone and left the door shut for the rest of the night in a couple extremely busy places.

9. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    Sleeping on the exit ramp was never an option for me and will never be.

I hope you will be OK.

BUT, where are those voices that advocated for the introduction of elogs and caused the shortage of designated truck parking spaces.

I can't hear any of those voices calling for more truck parking.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I-81 is one of the major and top truck routes for all mid-atlantic, northeast USA and western USA. if you built parking for all of the trucks using it each hour for 10 hours total in the night end to end, about 450 miles of it... you will learn that it will never be enough no matter how big you paved several states. We will fill it to overflowing, then throw out the trash all over it.

There has been times I would ask myself am I strong enough or awake enough to say get to Tennessee before I got to tired to hold er on that 81. The result would be finding that parking spot in PA the time she was loaded to get rested and change the appt time or be late and endure the yelling from dispatch.

Of all the roads Ive run that one in Virginia I would know like the back of my hand, even more so than I-70. And some nights there is no parking to be found anywhere along that entire stretch.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  11. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    I know the I81 is a major transportation corridor.

The population needs trucks to haul in their daily supplies. The trucker, in turn, needs the parking spaces to do the job.
    The society can't only have the good, thay have to take the bad as well. That does not mean that I'm a friend of parking lots full of p### and s###.

Badmon, TokyoJoe, x1Heavy and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.