sliding 5th wheel question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by falcon79, Oct 15, 2019.

1. falcon79

falcon79 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2019
    just wondering does having the 5th wheel at the very back make the truck bounce more than having it all the way forward? And how much of a weight adjustment can I change when moving it forward or back?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I am not sure what you are talking about as far as bouncy, too far back gets the steer axle light. If I remember right, one notch on a holland adds or subtracts 250 pounds on or off the steer axle, about 500 a notch for a fontaine.

Bean Jr. and BR-549 Thank this.
  4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It's not about the bounce, it's about the proper weight distribution.
    Once you find the sweet spot for the fifth wheel you should never need to adjust it again.

My Cascadia does not have a sweet spot in the middle, because it is all the way forward already.
    Fully loaded and fueled the steers are never over 12,200.

With all the trucks I have driven it has been 500 pounds per hole.

5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    What kind of fifth wheels? the holes are twice as far apart on fontaines (at least mine are) as they are on hollands? or it seems like twice.

6. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    If your axle weights are not balanced, the truck will " buck " on bumps more than normal.

Find the sweet spot for your truck that rides decent and scales correctly. Then leave it alone.

Keep in mind your truck swing & fuel mileage will be effected by fifth wheel location.
    Further forward = better mpg, but you have to very careful when jacking the trailer around ( bat wings ).

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I usually have mine just forward of center. Then leave it alone. when you get too far back your rig will NOT turn and whatever is in front of you is going to get hit on frost, rain or ice etc. Same with a dry 5th wheel plate.

8. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    Generally the adjustment on a fifth wheel will only add or subtract the weight of a fat girl on your steers. The most common reason for adjusting the fifth wheel placement, is conflicts with landing gear or reefer / sleeper.
    Putting the fifth in the middle of the wheel group or over the lead axle will improve ride. As long as there is room between the mudflaps and the dolly legs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.