Sliding tandems

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by NatureGirl22, Oct 5, 2014.

1. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    The correct answer is drive as is and go around the scales

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    The correct answer is you need to set the center of your trailer axles to 41' or less from the kingpin. If your overweight, you'll need the load reworked. All that and more is the front of your atlas in you International Cascadia.

4. Stone Express

Stone Express Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    I could say a lot.... but will say, how did an instructor and a trainer miss teaching this to a student. More than someone seriously dropped the ball on a couple of drivers...they should have been sliding tandems and discussing results on day one.

stexan, that was a very good depiction. If one thought about it, if the trailer tandems could be slide all the way up to the nose, how much weight would be on the tractor?

magoo68 and FatDaddy Thank this.
  5. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    unless you're in CA the tandem/kingpin setting is going to be secondary to the axle weights. On the rare occasion you get a wonky load that isn't legal at 41 feet nobody Is likely to hassle you if you have to stretch it out a little further to get the axle weights right.

6. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    And now with extra driver you have more weight to deal with. So the secret is right before scale have the co-driver hop run through the woods to other side of chicken coop and pick them up after u cross scale. But don't let dot see u pick him up b about 1/2 away before u do it.

7. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    Meh. I was just being snarky with my answer.

Mainly because their have been some good helpful responses but also because I simply cannot believe companies are putting drivers out there without knowledge of the most basic things that need to be done on a regular basis.

No offense to the OP Who I at least credt for seeking the answer but this is an answer he/she should have had before it got to his point

8. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    So you're saying VA and FL don't enforce their KPRA laws, LOL!!!!! VA would be the main problem as FL allows up to 44,000 on tandems. Rolled across today with 41,400 on the tandems myself. I hit the GA line and opened the spread up.

9. Trckdrvr

Trckdrvr Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Georgia
    Georgia stretched a tape on me just last week..

10. KentuckyReject

KentuckyReject Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Viper, KY
    I'm still wondering how there are two people in a truck that do not understand how to adjust their tandems to account for their load.

X-Country Thanks this.
  11. X-Country

X-Country Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2014

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/showthread.php?t=256651

southtruck Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.