Small, but very dertermined

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lilone2018, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Lilone2018

Lilone2018 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2018
    I am a small woman, but want to go to trucking school, I worry that I will have a tuff time at driving truck. I have drove a 2-ton in the past with no problem, any advice?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Couple of women recently posted they're 4'11" and drive big rigs.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    Go over to a trucking school and ask to at least sit in a truck to see if you feel comfortable accessing all controls necessary, and they are all within reach and comfortable. Lots of different interior styles and adjustable features. Most newer trucks have steering wheel columns that tilt down towards your lap and some tilt down and pull closer to your chest. Peterbilt clutches are old school type where they come out of the floor, others have pedals like newer vehicles that "hang" from the dash. Being somewhat shorter myself, I have gotten used to Peterbilt clutches but have found them awkward at first. Most driver seats are air ride up and down but if you like to "feel" the truck and ride the seat low, some trucks are tougher to see over the dash to the end of the sloped hood like Kenworth T600/680/2000, etc. You pretty much have to use the air ride seat to see safely. I have found that to be a little bit of a problem with the Peterbilt clutch config with the air ride seat in use. Easier to sit low for the clutch, harder to see over the dash.

As Chinatown says, lots of shorter women and men drive trucks. If you are very determined, I don't think you will have problem. Make sure to use 3 points of contact getting in and out of the truck to limit the chance of falling. 2 feet 1 hand or 2 hands 1 foot. It's a lot longer of a fall out of those things then it looks.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Lilone2018

Jul 19, 2018
    Thank you for your advice

Dye Guardian Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I can't argue with anything posted so far. I am a large man. I am a bit over 6 2 and played HS football. I always took things about the physical aspects of trucking for granted. However depending on where you land you are going to be called on to pull 5th wheel pins and if equipped trailer tandem release pins. This is something the average OTR driver will do most weeks 2 or 3 times. Some of those pins are recalcitrant. Make sure you have this covered. By covered get another woman (hopefully a trainer) to show you how to get this done. Last thing you want to be is stuck in a drop yard somewhere all alone and can't get a dang pin pulled.

7. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    Good advice Moose....Forgot all about the 5th wheel pin. I guess small companies are good for something through all the "run it broken before I can afford to fix it" BS. Hate those guys. Anyway, grab a 5th wheel pin puller at a truck stop, they help a ton. If you have done everything else, don't forget that setting the trailer brakes and backing against the trailer just a tad will release pressure usually allowing the pin to be pulled also.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  8. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    A big rig might help your image.

RedRover, Lepton1, Dumdriver and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Lilone2018

Jul 19, 2018
    Smart ###

10. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    At least pretrips will be an easy task under the trailer.

11. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    I went to school about 30 years ago. My trainer at the time was this itty bitty thing. She'd been driving 20 years at the time, before she stopped to teach. She took me aside and showed me a couple of "girl tricks" to get that 5th wheel pin pulled. Put your knee against the tire and use the leverage. Use the puller. Size doesn't matter so much, once you got a trick or two up your sleeve.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.