Small, but very dertermined

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lilone2018, Jul 19, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

Visit a large truck dealer. Preferably Peterbilt or KW. See if you can access physically the cab of the big truck from the ground using a standard and very necessary 3 points of contact. Your foot goes up on the fuel tank skirt step. Your left hand goes to a handhold at or on the open cab door. Your right hand is touching the big truck while you step up onto the first step with both feet. You do not let go with any 3 holds.

Repeat until you get into the cab. Once in you learn to adjust the seat to see if you can reach the pedals, all of the controls and so on. The sleeper is less important. The clutch will be the biggie, it's really got some weight on it. You will need to build up stamina for that work in a manual truck.

Automatics are nicer but carry certain issues best not yet addressed until you have had some time on the road with one. If it has a manual model, that is what you want. If it does not have a manual mode do not drive that truck or company. I personally did ok with auto way back in 2001 as a team, but ours had a manual mode for mountain and winter storm work that did well.

You will find that a nice tractor trailer in good condition, loaded properly an with a 5th wheel greased good will be driven with a finger or two. They are almost alive in a way of thinking.

The actual ordinary driving forward in a 18 wheeler on a nice road relatively free from traffic is as boring as driving your car in the park. Thats not really the issue.

The dealer and you can resolve very quickly if you can access a big truck from the ground and back to the ground. You will find there is a catwalk behind the sleeper to get to and there is also a trailer you need to get into and out of from the ground. Again there is a specific way of doing it with your hands and feet together. Or you will get hurt really bad. Fast. Its not fun to slip on the back doors of your trailer trying to get in then grab your first wrapped two ton pallet that now follows you off the trailer on the way to the ground to crush you. That's no way to go.

Trucking has eliminated some of the ... knuckle dragging aspects of our lifestyle and it's requirements over the say last 50 years. What we deal with in the 50's and 60's then is totally totally different than today's trucks that will just as soon BURN DOWN because of the emissions crap on them.

This is a journey. Not a 9-5 job. It is also a committment similar to marriage. You are running freight that keeps a city fed. A nation going and so on. You are already late, they are waiting for you.

A short review of the thread indicates that several people has taken liberties and cracked jokes or otherwise had some fun. I'll smile and then say to these people you cannot be doing that too much too often, chances are you can easily destroy anyone's desire to run a 18 wheeler at all in life. Now a little horseplay and some witty fun is awesome. But let's be gentle with the new ones huh?

Lilone2018 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Maj. Jackhole

Maj. Jackhole Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Wasting your breath, she is just going to think you're cutting her down.

KillingTime and IluvCATS Thank this.
  4. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Size and gender don't matter as much as attitude. Trucking--while it has gotten more civilized in recent years--is still a pretty macho culture. If you instantly get your back up at anything you perceive as offensive, you're not going to last long in this world.

Food for thought.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That may be so.

All I can do is answer the question and they will just have to learn it. If they can do it great. If not? Then fine. It's not for everyone.

If I really wanted to blow the man down around here I would be banned so fast....

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    No, most of the time when we played a team that used the full bone offense I was the will linbacker. If the team was more of an I formation I dropped back as an extra safety.

7. Lilone2018

Lilone2018 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2018
    There were certain ones that I said that to, I apologize if you thought it was to you

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Maj. Jackhole

Mar 19, 2017
    One day doing a pretrip on a trailer you will see exactly what I meant.

9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It sure helped da Cat's! :laughing-guffaw:

I couldn't pass it up. I'm on a roll tonight. :laughing-guffaw:

IluvCATS and Maj. Jackhole Thank this.
  10. Lilone2018

Lilone2018 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2018
    You guys don't bother me a bit, laugh all you want,

IluvCATS and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Maj. Jackhole

Mar 19, 2017
    A short roll:D

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.