Smartphone: Luxury or necessity?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by ltwombat, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Avenger29

Avenger29 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2008
    South Carolina
    The problem is nowadays the basic phones suck so bad a smart phone is about the only choice if you want a phone worth having. Just got my iPhone last month and love it. The smartphone features are very useful. The 2 gig data plan works for me since I use wifi as much as possible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Quickfarms

Quickfarms Heavy Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    My iPhone is a necessity in my book

4. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Well, looks like after looking at the Share Plan with Verizon, I will also be getting the smartphone when I get back home. According to the share plan, the wifes phone, my new one plus the USB card that I already have, and 6GB data, $150/mo. right now paying close to $200 between t-mobile and verizon. Guess that I am going to need to find some apps that I will need.

5. ltwombat

ltwombat Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    A21CAV listed a few apps on page one that are truck specific

6. neal79

neal79 Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Chicago,IL
    For me its a Luxury that I would not want to give up. Most useful thing is the google maps with the satellite view. Its just so great to be able to zoom in the place you are going and be able to see exactly where things like the truck entrance and docks are beforehand plus all the detail of a local map for those last few turns to get there.

A21CAV and Wilma Thank this.
  7. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    This is almost critically important if you are delivering to a store in a congested shopping center and have no idea which side of the store to go down to get to the back. Going the wrong way so you cannot back down to a dock can be a pain if you have to drive around for a half hour getting turned around and back going the right direction.
    Frank

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Google maps can be used with a laptop as well.
    Something most of us has.

My phone is simply a phone.
    Well, sort of.
    It would be a 'smart phone' - if I let it. But I can't see paying for the same services twice, or thrice.

My phone is a phone.
    To back that up I have a computer that I can get maps on.
    To back that up I have a QCom that gives me directions, as well as GPS when I want.
    To back up all of that I have a RM atlas.
    I also have a Rand 510 GPS to get me going in the right direction when I miss a turn, and to give a fairly accurate ETA in the correct time zone.

Don't need no stinkin' 'smart phone'.

inkeper Thanks this.
  9. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Then again, some old guys have problems figuring out how to use those tricky smartphones without an adolescent person close by to show them...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  10. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    deleted double post.

11. bluebonn

bluebonn Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Texas
    Would die without my Driod Bionic it's saved my ### in sooooo many ways but expensive as hell cause I got 22GB of data. $240 a month just for my phone and add my sons and its up to $310

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.