Smith Transport - Roaring Spring, PA

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by ScooterDawg, May 8, 2014.

1. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    are they still paying 35cpm?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ScooterDawg

ScooterDawg <strong>"The Blue Tick Lab"</strong>

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Varies based on experience

4. Treyabeybaby

Treyabeybaby Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2014
    I believe they told me like .42 with all bonuses n stuff is what I got out of it

5. Alrock

Alrock Light Load Member

May 26, 2014
    NYC
    ScooterDawg, can you tell why did you leave Abilene? I'm considering Abilene as a possible place to work, so It's not just a curiosity.

6. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Sure I can... more money!!! At least that's the long and the short of it. They had also made some big changes in the logistics end of it, like making it harder to talk to a dispatcher, and they never let me know what my next run was going to be until after I was unloaded... which drives me CRAZY!!!! Kinda hard to make the most of your hours (electronically) when you are told to go stage at a truck stop 20 miles to the East, and then come to find out, either en route or after you arrive, that your pick up is 40 miles West.

But that's just me. The folks at Abilene treated me well, the equipment is top notch, and you will get miles. Not a bad place to work, and if I ever wanted to go back, they told me the door was open. And who knows? But right now, I am very happy where I am. Then again, it's all in what you make of it.

I'm not going to try to steer you away from Abilene.

7. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Yeah, and again, it's based on your experience as well. I'm getting good miles and generating some pretty healthy paychecks, so I'm not regretting coming on-board.

Plus, I'm not having to kill myself to get the loads delivered. Yeah, there is some JIT, and tight schedules. But good planning typically makes it easy before it's even handed off to me. The guys in dispatch know what they're doing, and they are aware of your hours.

BTW.... In case y'all haven't heard, the DOT Blitz starts tomorrow so be ready!!!

Be safe

8. Alrock

Alrock Light Load Member

May 26, 2014
    NYC
    Yeah, I'm with you on that preplan thing... I had my small trucking company and most of the time my drivers were getting preplan for the next one b4 they deliver previous one... Thank you and good luck to you, buddy

ScooterDawg Thanks this.
  9. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Thanks man.... you too

10. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Btw folks.... here's a little hint for those of you using a QualComm. There is a USB port in the side of the unit that you can plug a keyboard into. You can then use a real keyboard instead of having to fight with the touchscreen keyboard. To me, it's wonderful because I have some pretty large paws and those little keys don't always cooperate with me.

Actually, I am using a Logitech wireless keyboard and I have the receiver plugged into the port. Works like a champ!

And for those of you who already knew this... why haven't you already told me? Hehehe. ;?)

11. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    ScooterDawg what is your hometime like? Do you have to give them notice or do you have a certain amount of time you stay out and they automatically send you toward home?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.