Smith Transport - Roaring Spring, PA

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by ScooterDawg, May 8, 2014.

1. WheelmanMike

WheelmanMike Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2013
    THIS! is what I've been looking for. I can't wait!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Treyabeybaby

Treyabeybaby Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2014
    That's good I'll be out two weeks at a time what are their trucks governed at

4. ScooterDawg

ScooterDawg <strong>"The Blue Tick Lab"</strong>

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Looking forward to meeting you

5. Treyabeybaby

Treyabeybaby Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2014
    What's the governed speed on the trucks

6. WheelmanMike

WheelmanMike Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Hey Scooter do they come with inverters and a fridge?

7. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Sorry.... been running some weird hours

Yes, all of the trucks have APU's which are equipped with factory installed inverters. I couldn't venture a guess as to the wattage for each truck, as they may vary. But yes, inverters

As far as the refrigerators, no. My understanding is that they are not opposed to you putting one in. As a matter of fact, last time I was up in the Smith Store, they actually had one or two in there... the kind like the ones that would be installed from the factory. There is a cabinet in my truck that appears to have a removable insert to accommodate a factory install, but I haven't done anything about it. Still toying with the idea, but it is a significant investment, and I have better things to spend my money on right now.

I would say that you might be best to wait until you know that you are going to be in one particular truck before you go that. Of course, the other option is to buy one of those Coleman 12volt deals for $99 and run that until it dies, THEN go after the higher end unit. Good chance that is what I am going to do.

Just think.... in a couple of days, you'll be a "Smitty". Looking forward to seeing the both of you.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  8. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Had a pretty good week so far. Been running all over the place (mostly NE) and made some friends along the way. One thing I will say about Smith Drivers (at least MY experience)... everyone seems to be helpful and personable. Been doing some of our "regular" customers, and have run into one or more drivers at each location (except one). Had some good conversation, picked their brains to get "inside information", and just typical chatter. But all in all, everyone was real pleasant.

Currently sitting at the J in Jeffersonville, OH. Headed to Lithia Springs just outside Atlanta. Not JIT freight.... WIGT freight (when I get there). Shooting for some big miles this week and setting my hours up to accommodate that. Burned through a Split Sleeper today, which worked out wonderfully for me. Taking the rest of the day off, got my belly full in Denny's, and gonna get a good night's sleep. Then when I wake up tomorrow (big emphasis on the word "WHEN"), I'll scoot on down to GA. Not sure what dispatch has in store for me yet. Sent them the ETA/PTA message, but hadn't heard anything back yet. Not going to worry about it tonight. Just gonna kick back and chillax.

A comfortable 78 outside. And it looks like it is going to be in the lower 60's to upper 50's tonight, so GOOOODDD sleeping weather.

Oh yeah, by the way, in case you have not heard.... The Senate voted Thursday to suspend the law where you must have two consecutive days where you are off between 1-5 am in order to get your 34. That does not mean it's passed.... it still has to be voted on by the House. But supposedly "confidence is high". This suspension would be for one year while they can "study" the feasibility and the economic impact. Here's my take on it.... "Congress.... I'll let you do YOUR job, and you let me do MINE. If I want your opinion, I'll ask.... okay?" I stopped being told when to sleep when I moved out of my parents' house over 30 years ago. OK.... I got that little rant out of my system.... I feel better now. I realize that they are trying to come up with the best possible solution, but I think they are going about it the wrong way.

Anyway, y'all be safe. See ya soon!

YardDart and Shaggy Thank this.
  9. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    SD was you broke down at the 205 mile marker on I81 in Va. today? I saw a Peterbilt 387 on the north bound side with the triangles out.

10. ScooterDawg

Nov 23, 2008
    Trinity, NC
    Yep, that was me. Was that you headed north? I waved at an Abilene truck that was driving by.

Clutch went out about 20 miles back. Spent the night here at the Pete Shop here in Raphine. Waiting for them to open up.

11. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Yeah I was headed North but I am a driver for PLYGEM Windows. I yelled on the CB but you did not answer figured you was on the phone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.