Smith Transport

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by TruckersBratWife, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Allan M

Allan M Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I fortunately drove my p/u truck to orientation in Atlanta, GA. from Columbia, SC.
    When I checked into the hotel the night before orientation I was given a handful of paperwork describing company rules and policies that were never mentioned by the recruiter. (what a surprise)
    With 28 years of OTR experience and a spotless CDL they informed me that I would have to do a road test, backing test and be taught how to dolly down a trailer.
    Next she said "and don't you dare fall asleep during orientation" because they're watching you on a camera from Roaring Springs, PA. and will fire you immediately.
    I was told that whenever my 34 hr reset was done I had to go down to the truck and sit there at the ready even if they didn't have a load for me.
    I walked out of orientation after the first hour.
    My recruiter said that JB Hunt, Schneider and all the others have the same policies but I told him that I wouldn't have even considered working for one of them.
    I decided that becoming a company driver just wasn't for me and bought another truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I'm just about to that point myself, the thought of running 65 in the slow lane just doesn't cut it..

4. biggeno

biggeno Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Crossville TN
    All mega fleet companys have their bad points and you will hear from every driver that had a bad time with them. Before anyone can call me a recruiter, I am a O/O and also one of the many that had to start out in a fleet. Tell hubby to grit his teeth for the first year to year and a half, 100% on-time, no avoidables, then move on . untill then, grin n bear it and good luck.

5. Dr Demented

Dr Demented Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Delphi, IN
    Yeah...a lot of companies that used to be good ones have made some bad changes. It's a depressing time to be looking for work in the industry.

I've been looking since April and it's pretty horrible out there...

6. path finder

path finder Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2009
    claysburg pa.
    Barry F. Smith (owner,ceo) of smith transport inc. U.S. EXPRESS owns 47%. Barry F. Smith still runs the trucks, he has a motto for all new hire drivers. You will learn this in orientataion. I qoute, an UNSAFE DRIVER WILL LAST LONGER ON THE NATIONS HIGHWAYS THAN A COMPANY TROUBLE MAKER! I dont ask you to beleive me,go to orientation and ask what the STAA protections are,you,ll hear the motto for your self,you will not know what the STAA protections for drivers are unles you call OSHA/Dept of Labor.

It starts with false advertising pay to start at a $1000.00 + per week
    this is to get you in the door,its a lie!
    No matter how much money you make at smith, to make it you will be a federal criminal!
    you will take any load at any time no matter what your hours of service are!

7. path finder

path finder Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2009
    claysburg pa.
    Drivers any motor carrier out there useing any form of satilite communication and tracking systems will know exactly what your true hours of service are before your even dispatched on your next load. No matter how they teach you to log it'
    Smith Transport you dont log more then 15 minutes per stop,pick or delivery no matter how long you,ve been sitting.
    You will be encouraged to use loose leaf logs,because if you dont youll get busted by DOT.You get busted a couple of times and you will be fired!You will change log sheets so many times you will eventuly confuse yourself.
    Drivers get on the internet,google safersystems.org go to company snapshot,put Smith Transport DOT no.246204 in the space you can see for yourself 3 dead and 44 life altering injuries in the last 24 months.Look under driver inspections for all caught violations in the last 24 months,while your on the site look at the ( Iss-D ) the inspection selection system ,All smith trucks are recommended for inspection when passing scales that are doing road side inspections!
    Long story short drivers this is not the load planners,driver managers or dispatchers fault their just trying to earn a pay check the same as drivers.same as drivers do what your told or they will be replaced just as fast as driver who refuses an order.Be ###### federal rules and regulations! Barry F. Smith has made millions of dollars operating his company at the risk of driver and the public safety! He's not going to stop now.
    Drivers my best advice, stay away from smith transport, u.s. express.
    Contact OSHA/dept. of labor and get a copy of your STAA protections.
    Refuse any load dispatch sends you that you cant run legally,once you refuse the load dont say anything else,get to a fax machine and fax a copy of the STAA protections to your driver manager or dispatcher,allthough they probably dont know it their protected under the STAA as well.
    Once you have a copy of the STAA protections make copies and pass them out to fellow drivers and dipatchers. Keep in mind even though the motor carrier is supposed to inform you of your STAA protections in orientation most dont, the STAA protections have been around sence 1982 and updated in 2007 they are still one of the best kept secrets thru out the entire trucking Industry. Stay Safe and good luck.

TURKER and stlhrsemn Thank this.
  8. rcramer

rcramer Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2009
    i worked at smith for eight years, the co. has gone to hell since barry sold half to us express nobody there cares anymore,they will screw the driver now and dont care .
    the co. used to be run by former drivers, not now ,all collage brats, that dont know anything about trucking,barry smith has really let the company go south now . i feel sorry for him at 1 time he had 1 of the best companies

9. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Everytime I have worked for a company and the "old man" turns it over to the kids they always seem to run it into the ground in a few short years. It seems like the older generation that started these companies actually cared about drivers, but once the new blood gets in charge its just buisness.

mushroom1464 Thanks this.
  10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

Not just business to them, just money.

11. echo4572

echo4572 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2008
    md
    US EXPRESS has the trucks. Smith has the warehouses.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.