SNOW SOCKS VS CHAINS

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by MAGA1, Nov 20, 2018.

1. MAGA1

MAGA1 Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Thinking about investing in some snow socks for truck. Looking for any issues with them verse chains.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    That is basically comparing an apple to a ski doo.
    If you rarely see snow, and a superficial amount, snow socks might be enough for you.
    But for any real mountain roads or deep snow, get triple rail trygg super heavy duty studded chains. So it depends on your needs. Where I live, nothing but triples ever go on, except for the steering axle.

AModelCat, KB3MMX and MAGA1 Thank this.
  4. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    how often do you plan on using them?

5. MAGA1

MAGA1 Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Not very often, make some drops for customers in Northern Iowa and Minnesota off roads to job sites.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Forget the socks.

I use chain made in Austria vs Ice.

Snow is less of a concern easily resolved.

7. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Socks okay on ice not off road or deep snow

8. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    depending on how rough the roads are and how covered they are they might tear up, they reccomend 20 or 25mph max, and spinning your drives may tear them too, ive only used them at real low speeds on the interstate to get over passes out west, i think thats what they are best suited for.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Ultimate investment would be auto chain system lol

RichardMG Thanks this.
  10. TIMPTE 527

TIMPTE 527 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    I always thought that "chains on the steers" was one of those old trucker dumb rookie urban legends. Then 2 years ago on I80 @ Boomtown I saw a Werner truck with chains on the steer axle. I just shook my head and thought well I guess it wasn't an urban legend after all.

11. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Very common to chain up every single axle here. Triples on everything else and singles on the front, otherwise the front end just slides towards the low side of the road and you have no steering at all. In about a month or so we should be moving all the equipment to the winter logging locations for them to start. You should come and ride around for a week as we haul it to the bush. Every tire is chained up, and no such thing as only running singles on the drivers, jeep axles and trailer axles, triples only. Specifically Trygg heavy duty studded triples. Now haul it up a mountain road most wouldn't really call a road but a trail through the bush where a 15% hill is not even considered steep at all. Unload the processor, buncher, button top, skidder, dozer, loader, or whatever it was you had hauled in, turn around and head out. After running with chains on for 4 to 10 hours, stop and take them off because hallalujia you made it back to the hwy for the easy part of the drive back home. You survived another day so good job. But that for me is what i love doing and wouldn't have it any other way.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.