So, I heard

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by Unclehams, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Unclehams

Unclehams Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2010
    I talked to a team recruiter as I plan to go to work with my uncle who has driven truck for over 30 years.

They told me its a 28 split for me but a little more for him because of his expericence.

I was told they would providing the loging and three meals a day durring his refresher course and my orientation. I have to stay with the crap company I'm with for another month.

I spoke with a recruiter there and he said we would average between 5k-6k miles a week so I am looking forward to this.

Any advice for starting with this company? I know it could never be as bad as who I work for now as our owner sends us out with trucks that do not work and threatens to fire us if we don't drive them...

I drove 3k miles last week for 400 dollars before taxes...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Don't count on 6K miles a week...

EVERYTHING RECRUITERS SAY ARE PURE BS

Miles... it will all depend on the team, the dispatcher, the equipament.... Have you read the other threads here about this co.???

Anyway, you do very well firing your SOB boss. Covenant's trucks are not in bad shape. Actually, Cov. has been taking care of their trucks.

Make sure you do a very thorough pre trip inspection on the truck they assign you before you hit the road. Write up everything, go thru the inspection bay and send truck to shop for needed repairs. And drive test the truck after repairs to make sure all is good.

Lodging, you share a room at Cov. motel (maybe with your uncle). Don't expect anything fancy. Two beds, a tv (no cable), and a bathroom.

Three meals???? I may be wrong, but I remember only one or two a day.... Well, I am vegetarian and always bring my own food with me.... My orientation was over 2 yrs ago and my memory is bad...

Good luck with it.

4. jphill3426

jphill3426 Light Load Member

May 6, 2008
    West Point, MS
    They do provide lodging in their ghetto owned motel with a tv with no cable and no remote..They claim a remote is a luxury item? I wouldn't call it luxury. Anyways you do get 3 meals a day if you can call them meals. Some are good some aren't. As far as miles..DO NOT count on anything over 4k. Their dispatch is horrible and that is no joke. They have casper working for them booking loads that don't exist. In the month I've been here I've gotten 3 loads that didn't exist. My best week has been 4800 miles which included a 500 mile run from the previous week I didn't get scanned in on time. The trucks are nice but I'd rather make money than have a new truck. Your experience may be different but mine was the same as the rest. However good luck in whatever you may decide.

5. lwnbhld

lwnbhld Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2010
    I can say that i had a week with 6909 miles...but that was because they DIDN'T pay me for a 1500 mile run that i left out with after home time! And i sat all weekend and right as my 48 hr came up they gave me a load so they didnt hve to pay layover. The check i recieved was about 850 for all the total miles above and that was running none stop. In my opinion alot of miles for little pay.And missing holidays if select drivers have time off requests in.Honestly I made around the same money and was home every night before I aquired the 6500 debt of truck driving school. I came to make money not make the same.

6. onthefence

onthefence Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rensselaer, NY
    That's my concern as well. Although I didn't make as much money as you before my CDL school loan, I was hoping for more than the $300/wk another poster mentioned. I have been out of work for 11 1.2 months and I am climbing the walls. I need to get working and if Covenant turns out to be the only ones interested in me, I'll have to suck it up.

7. covndriver

covndriver Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2010
    There are Good trainers, and bad trainers, there are good dispatch, and there are bad dispatch.

8. covndriver

covndriver Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2010

working for covenant is better than staying with your nagging exwife/ or being jobless.. You will make money maybe even more than 300.00 a week. My best check was after taxes and junk was 879.00 but i was behind about 2 weeks after geting hired on. You will be behind for atleast a week...

Start on monday,, run to ca from tn,. From ca to wa, from wa to ny then back to ca. Thats about enough you can do within a 8 days ,, you can do it with teams if it is all drop and hook,,,

now scann all loads right after delivering it. Everything you just ran should be on the 2nd weeks check. Acording to payroll

the cut off is every monday at 5pm cst. The idea is to get everyhting scanned on the sunday before the cutoff make sure they have prosessed your delivered loads.

9. onthefence

onthefence Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rensselaer, NY
    Doesn't matter, I failed the road test (both attempts) and was sent home. I am almost out of options, as I have gotten nothing but 'no's' lately. I have a maybe with USA Trucks (the lady that decides has been off and the office will be closed Wed through Fri, so I won't know anything until Monday.

Covenant says I need a 40 hour refresher, but my school will not provide that for free and I have no means or intention to pay more. They charged me $6500@18% and $1500(Worker retraining grant) all to be trained on automatics with 6 one hour shifting classess.

No clue what I will do if USA Trucks says no or if I fail their road test too.

10. MassHole

MassHole Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2010
    wareham, mass
    :smt017 maybe my math is a little off but thats something around .13 cents a mile. what is going on here? seems your getting the shaft my friend

11. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Onthefence, it seems to me that you need a refresher before you can take another road test but with no means to pay for one and money being the urgency right now, if I were you, I would put the truck driving job in the back burner for a while and would try to find another way to make urgent money for now, even if I had to deliver pizzas, wash dishes, clean toilets (wich I have done in the past for many years).... so that you can provide for you and your family.
    This CDL school of yours seems to be a rip off. I got my CDL at a community college in GA (the best one around). The program ($2500.00) was paid by federal grants and cost me no more than $ 100.00 (including books, medical test, exam, etc, etc). Then, when I went back for a refresher, that cost me $ 600.00. Maybe you can find some place like this in your community to get the refresher. Please stay positive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.