So, I heard

Discussion in 'Covenant' started by Unclehams, Oct 22, 2010.

1. onthefence

onthefence Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rensselaer, NY
    Nice to hear from you Rocks. Merry Christmas.

I hate to sound lazy, but none of those jobs you mention pay more than unemployment. If I can find some 'side work,' that would be a different story (I have something in mind).

The CDL School charges $1000 for a 40 hour course for new students, the price tag for me would probably be around $500-600 anyway. That's why I am trying to get a few classes out of them for free.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too!!
    Yes, try to find some "side work", some cash you don't have to declare, work at night if necessary... Best of luck to you.

4. bandit137

bandit137 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2011
    St Petersbueg, Fl
    I was reading your comments. I'm a rookie too, but since you were trained on aoutmatic you might try USExpress and Transam. They both have automatics. Hope it works out.

5. onthefence

Sep 1, 2010
    Rensselaer, NY
    They both already said no. I am now at USA Truck. They do not have a road test at orientation. I leave with a trainer tomorrow morning for phase 1; 2 weeks long. They do have some automatics, but I'll need to drive stick first.

6. Ella

Ella Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2011
    I hope it works out for you. I've never really heard anything about them. Do a couple years there and slide over to a nicer company that doesn't take newbies.

7. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    You have come a looong way man.... Take this opportunity with trainer and go on the road. Try to learn as much as you can. Two weeks is not too long but it will help you to decide if you really want to continue on this path. I wish you all the best.

8. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    I am really interested to see how this turns out. The companies that have said no are not overly selective so there must be something bad and pretty recent in your history. Also, most companies road test (for a student) is really to just see if you are not too dangerous and to find out if you are teachable. Pretty rare for a student to fail two road tests. There are obviously a lot of details being left out.

PainNdaNeck Thanks this.
  9. onthefence

Sep 1, 2010
    Rensselaer, NY
    No, nothing is being left out. I have explained myself many times. I have never driven a clutch or a truck at all. My 'school' 'trained' me using automatics with only 5 shifting classes. They claim the course is 120 hours, but it was a lie. The course is 3 1/2 weeks long, but week one is spent memorizing test questions for the CDL learners permit. That leaves 2 1/2 weeks. During that time, I had to share trucks with other students, so it was more like a week of training on autos for someone who has never drove truck. I failed the road test at DMV twice before passing it on the third attempt.

When I went to Roehl, I had not been in a truck for almost 2 weeks. I didn't even try to double clutch and when you try to change gears without the rpms, nothing happens. I also clobbered a curb.

I had only 1 hour in a manual truck 2 weeks before going to Covenant. I hit the curb there as well (actually, I must have rubbed it because I did not feel it).

I have a trainer at USA Truck who refuses to give up on people. I have stalled the truck more times than I could count. Actually, 7 times yesterday and 2 times in the fast lane during rush hour traffic, yet he still keeps me.

Next week is do or die week. I still need to practice backing. I'm sure if I am not golden by the end of the week, I am probably done.

123456 and PainNdaNeck Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.