So I noticed......... But.....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by GoneButNotForgotten, Dec 15, 2010.

1. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Maybe this thread needs the same password as the Political thread.

GoneButNotForgotten Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

:biggrin_2555: Theres DIRECTIONS on the heels of boots

4. SweetSouthernRide

SweetSouthernRide Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Alabama
    seems like somebody's high horse needs to buck a few times...

5. FLATBED

im lurning reel hard so i can rite gud lik u gies. i did finnish hi scool two. i hop i can rite bedder sum day.
    :biggrin_25523:

Reads as if my neighbours nephew wrote it , but then he figures that doing the 6th grade TWICE is equal to a Grade 12 Education.

6. puncher

puncher Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Tn.
    Common sense, good grooming, clean & neat cloathing, and the ability to handle a truck is really all that is required. I wouldn't expect any driver to attend a country club, or give a speech to the garden club, we are after all just truck drivers. It burns me up for some to think they are smarter than others, anybody with any sense at all wouldn't want to live this dogs life to begin with, think of it you go fetch when told, you sit when told, you sleep in a box and chase cars. We used to have an old doctor who gave our physicals, that only checked our eyes, ears, and rectum, he said that's all you need to drive a truck. Seriously just disregard the previous statements since we all can see how truck driving has improved with the addition of all these higher educated, school boy type drivers. Hope everyone has a wonderful CHRISTmas.

GoneButNotForgotten and Big Don Thank this.
  7. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    A very dear friend of mine, now deceased, had a PhD and was a university professor in organic chemistry -- a very intelligent and well-spoken man. But the man's writing was a spelling train wreck. Lordy, it was awful! So let's debunk the myth that proper spelling and grammar is somehow linked to intelligence. :biggrin_25523:

As for posts here on the board, I admit that those with poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation can be more difficult to read. Instead of being able to fluently read through the post and focus on the writer's point, a good bit of my attention is diverted to making sense of the mishmash of letters, words, and random punctuation... hence, I'm not able to give my full attention to what the writer is saying. I'm too busy trying to decipher what is written. So, on one hand, I understand those who sometimes vent their frustration here.

On the OTHER hand, I know that a person's knowledge is not determined by their ability to put words on paper (or computer screen, as the case may be). Some of my favorite posters here sometimes make my eyes cross, but I know they have good, solid advice and experience to share with us... and I really, REALLY appreciate that!

So rather than criticize, I respect their experience and am grateful for their willingness to help others... and I take the time to first read the post to decipher it in my head, and then read it a second time for comprehension so I can fully grasp what they are saying. Yes, it takes a few seconds longer maybe, but what they have to share with us is more than worth the extra effort.

8. FLATBED

It is not just in trucking that the SKILL of proper english and penmanship is nonexsisent and pointed out by some.

Look at repair orders from a shop or A/C guy, cable , browse overother forums on the internet for various trades or occupations and the same thing.

I was told by a teacher we know that " It is the ones who let it slide or support the ones doing it that in reality make the matters worse ".

GoneButNotForgotten and puncher Thank this.
  9. angrysam

angrysam Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Commie-sota
    Somebody git me 'nuther stick cuz this horse is still kickin' a lil bit.

Some people put stock into formatting forum posts, some don't. That poorly formatted post that's ruining your life could belong to an English major that belongs to the former.

This is the innertube and you have no idea who is on the other end of that computer machine.

10. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I'll plead guilty to contributing to the ignition of the flame that got started in this thread. For that, I apologize and promise to be more careful in the future.

However, I will not now, nor will I ever, abide by the dumbing down of our society. Even someone who only can input three words a minute on a keyboard is capable of using very basic punctuation (we're talking periods here...no commas, semi-colons, etc...just periods). I simply can not understand it, just as some of you may not be able to understand some things that I may do.

In my three years out of the trucking industry, I was in management. You should have seen the junk I saw on applications from people that actually wanted me to hire them, let alone how they presented themselves in person. Now I'm just sorry....I know we're not all given the same set of skills and talents in life, no argument there. We're all wired up differently. But the garbage that now passes for coherent written communication is appalling. For having that opinion, I apologize to no one.

Poor spelling? OK...no biggie. Not everyone is a great speller. But to me, stringing together several sentences without any whit of punctuation shows lack of effort. And that is based upon my experiences, just as poor writing skills may be a product of the authors. So I guess we're all just "victims" of our upbringing.

But again...I will not make the mistake of mimicking any poor writing style exhibited by a poster in the future. Forgiveness asked for.

11. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest

This was such a good post I felt it needed to be repeated!

SweetSouthernRide Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.