So I noticed......... But.....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by GoneButNotForgotten, Dec 15, 2010.

1. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    ...and that is truly great! Because he made the EFFORT, he succeeded.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest

Yes I do have things that bug me. One is people who attempt to edify them selves by insulting others. Your participation in this thread and others participation does not have the same insult and goal as does the original poster. This thread was not started by the original poster as a discussion of school systems or the "dumbing down" of America. This thread was begun to insult and debase others and thus edify the original poster.

That just makes me sick.

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  4. Texas-Nana

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest

Yes he did, and he would be a terrific asset to this forum. However I'd never wish him to join because there are those who would attack him because he doesn't write well enough to satisfy them.

5. 48Packard

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Point taken and completely understood.

6. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Yep it is! Snuffy rocks!

It's not the people who have legitimate problems that some of us have issues with. It's the ones too lazy to put in the effort. Just like the ones that use all caps for their entire post. It's also our education system that passes kids through just to pass them and allows poor grammar, etc that annoys a lot of us.

About on the same level as the ones too darn lazy to take a shower and wash their clothes.

7. 48Packard

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    And I will add that one of the troubles with this form of communication is that it is so very one-dimensional. What I or others may consider to be a lack of effort may indeed be something totally different (TN mentioned dyslexia, for one example).

I'm guilty of jumping the gun in this area at times. My smart-aleckyness clouds my judgment.

I figure I'll have it licked by the time I'm 104...

Big Don Thanks this.
  8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    I don't think I'll live that long! That's an ambitious goal there!:biggrin_2559::biggrin_25514:

9. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Right. Exactly. "Everyone asks the same questions but they don't know they ask the same questions." It's not the same newbies asking the same questions.

I frequent a ton of forums -- writers' forums (where you'd expect people to pick nits about writing, grammar, and usage, except that they don't), guitar-nut forums, audio forums (you'd think that people who can afford
    insanely expensive audio gear would at least be able to put a paragraph together; you'd be wrong. But no one complains.). Actually, TTR is the only forum I know where posters beef other posters for grammar.

I once worked for a state-licensed engineering geologist who'd earned a master's degree while working full-time and raising a young family. His writing was so bad that we had to edit his reports so our clients wouldn't think our firm was staffed by idiots. The guy sold his company and retired as a millionaire when he was 60. His writing still sucks. I can explain this, but I hope I don't have to.

Texas-Nana Thanks this.
  10. Texas-Nana

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest

I wonder if you're on the same writers forums I am. LOL

11. Blackjack

Blackjack Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Right on the Left Coast
    There's a difference between inability and just plain laziness. No one is expecting every post to be 100% perfect, but it's obvious when somebody isn't making any effort to communicate clearly.

Anyone who finished second grade knows you capitalize the first letter of a sentence and put a period at the end. If somebody is too lazy to reach over and hold the shift key to capitalize a letter, what else are they going to be too lazy to do? And why should a company trust $100,000 worth of truck and cargo to somebody like that?

bluebonn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.