So many mixed results

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by fuccillo111, Sep 19, 2019.

1. fuccillo111

fuccillo111 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2019
    First post here! I'm doing my research on o.o expedited company start up. Zero knowledge or experience but I've been in a factory for 20 yrs and I'm 39 now, so it's #### or get off pot for me. I want to be my own boss while traveling the country. My question is do the YouTubers who hotshot only show the glorified part of the job, like Facebook? Only see the good, none of the not so good parts of their lives on the road. One guy brings home $1500-2000/week,allwhile paying 20% to have people send them to they're next pickup, yet another guy, on here say, can barely break even. What gives? If one person does well and the other not so week, both the same job and equipment, I have to look at management of the company is different between the two operators, no?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ragman54

Ragman54 Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2016
    S.E. Michigan
    You might want to checkout Expediters Online. That is a website and forum dedicated to the expediting industry exclusively. The information there will be invaluable.

Expedited Trucking Owner Operator Careers and Truck Sales

4. fuccillo111

Sep 18, 2019
    Thank you for the reply sir! I think ive mixed up my description of expediter vs hotshot driver. I want to hotshot a 3500 dually with 35' goose. I figured hot shots and expediter is the same. Either way, why do some people shy away from showing the cons of the job when others fail to show the pros. As someone on the outside looking, it almost looks like the folks in the game try to selfishly deter others from getting in, knowing they'll potentially eat into they're bottom line.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Expediters online don't have a lot of hotshot info,

Lite bug Thanks this.
  6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    The industry is well oversaturated with trucks... Has nothing to do with selfish.

FlaSwampRat and Lite bug Thank this.
  7. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    You are correct, the difference is the management determines the outcome. I am not aware of You Tubers doing hotshot but am aware of people being successful and others going out of business because of their choices. Nor is there one formula to ensure success. If I would have ask back in 2008 when i was trying to learn. “ How do I stay mostly in state and my surrounding states, And wait until someone calls me when they need me “ We’ll I probably would have been told “ it didn’t work that way “ however that is exactly what I now do. There are a lot of people on here that know a lot more than I do and I believe they work hard and learn as much as they can and treat people with respect is key to their longevity.

8. Ragman54

Ragman54 Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2016
    S.E. Michigan
    True, but the OP indicated expediting in his post, and TTR is not real big into that field.

9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    It's all apples and oranges if you will be successful or fail.. there are so many variables that there is no way to tell you much of anything other than it "depends" or "maybe".. 1st off every single person will over estimate their own work ethics and their own value.. Very few people can really be honest with themselves or better yet have real experience in knowing what they are capable of.. Much less will they be honest with themselves about their capabilities..

Now on top of this you add in factors out of your control, like you can do everything 100% right 100% of the time and still fail. You can do #### wrong and get by.. You just never know because it's all the luck of the draw with things that are out of your control..

Now as far as what you've said in your post, I'd advise against just jumping right in.. You said you've worked at a factory job for 20 years.. This means you haven't been making your own decisions, you are not used to being your own boss but want to be. You have a set work schedule that your used to, but how will you do, when you find out that 1 day you might not start driving til 10am and finish at 12am but the next day you sit for 10hrs waiting on a load and can't start driving until 4pm and have to drive till 5am the next day the make the drop? Then another day you are getting up at 4am?

What happens when you can't get a load home for a important weekend you have planned with your wife or kids? Will your family accept you being gone a week or 2 at a time? Will they understand when you can't make it home when you planned because the shipper was late getting you loaded or someone mixed things up and they don't have a guy there who can unload you today so come back tomorrow? or hell maybe you got stuck on the highway for 3 hours because of a bad wreck making you late so you missed your appointment.

That's just the driving part.. if you are trying to be your own boss that means pulling your own authority.. That means doing lots of paper work, possibly billing unless you factor your loads, it means spending hours looking for loads and calling brokers who tell you.. oh we don't take hotshots.. Oh and lets not forget you are doing all this from the comfort of a pickup truck cab seat..

What I'm trying to get at, is from your own post you said you want to be your own boss, but you have no experience in doing that, much less no experience in this line of work. I'd warn against anyone simply jumping right in not have experience with both aspects.

Sure you can jump into trucking if you've worked for yourself and know what to expect running your own business but just need to learn trucking or vice versa you've driven trucks but now want to run your own business but not no experience at both fronts.

I'm not saying you can't do it or trying to tell you that you shouldn't, but you need to gain either experience in this industry 1st or gain experience in managing your own business.. The 2nd is a bit hard to do... but the 1st..

Well this IMO.. if it were me, I'd simply go get hired on one of the big trucking companies that train you. Go get your CDL through Prime, or Maverick or 1 of the other non "Swift" companies.. Do your year driving OTR in a big rig to cover your CDL training and get some experience on the road..

The advantage to doing it this way, you get a CDL, you get paid to make mistakes on some one elses dime... You are spending no money to get set up. Then if you are smart, you actually drag it out a bit so you have that CDL 2 years.. After 2 years, you get a pretty good break on insurance for your own DOT numbers because you have that experience..

For the record, this is the exact method I took.. I'm now set up with my own numbers (waiting on them to go active) but I'm starting with my own authority after having my CDL just over 2 years now. Now on the flip side I have run my own business before so I'm a bit versed in that area but I still opted to go get trained at a real trucking company before simply jumping in on my own..

It's not just about driving trucks or securing your freight.. You need to understand how freight works and learn shipping lanes ect.. all that stuff takes time and experience and just jumping in knowing nothing about any of it is a recipe to fail.

oh btw since you mention youtube.. check out south Georgia hotshot.. as he came in with out much experience, ran for someone else kinda got screwed over and ended up with his authority. He's had a hard time and a struggle at it as you can see in his vids.

Another is hotshot dave.. that guy started out in a single cab 1990's truck sleeping in the front seat and hauling a 1 car trailer. He struggled like hell and even just recently dropped his authority to lease on another company because his insurance was still too much after 3 years.

Don't just watch their new vids, go back and watch them through from their 1st so you can see all the struggles these guys went through and decide if you can do that as well. Also there is a absolute ton of info out there you just are not looking hard enough.. Youtube alone you could spend months watching videos on hotshots and the same here on this board you can spend months learning about the industry..

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    24kHotshot and Lite bug Thank this.
  10. fuccillo111

Sep 18, 2019
    Wow! Thanks for all the advice folks! Such great info here. I guess in my mind I picture the perfect situation for me would be to deliver cross country and back in 5-7 days and take off 3-4 days. Find a load near me hear in central New York or PA or Ohio and go as far as possible with as few stops as possible. Then do the same for the drive back home. The theory here is less moving parts. Less paperwork, fewer middlemen etc. Regional seems like your looking for the next load the second you get the current load loaded...I'm not interested in that. I want long trips with one or two pickups as opposed to many many pickups in a 5-7 day period. I wouldn't have bookers and would schedule the loads via loaderboards and pocket the 20% myself. I grew up on a farm and my dad's a retired mechanic so I've been taught to do all my own mechanical work so most maintenance could possibly be done by me to save some bucks. I have cash saved to get Ins. and down payments for truck and trailer and gear. Also have plenty of credit availability for emergency situations. For you veterans out there, does my ideal trip sound possible? Are long, single load trips(coast to coast or ny to tx, fla, etc) common enough to sustain a decent wage? For what it's worth, weather does not deter me from driving anywhere, I've dealt with mother nature's best here in central ny.

11. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Yes your theory is a good one, you will be competing with everyone else having the same idea. I wish all the luck.

24kHotshot and crocky Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.