so screwed

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by a30dan1, May 5, 2015.

1. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    This reply is not only for you ("cforestr") but for everyone else who hasn't bothered to read thru the thread before posting....."Dogtrucker" posted a link a few pages back that states a hair follicle test is NOT a DOT/HHS-approved method of drug testing, and as such can NOT be used to notify DOT or other trucking companies/possible future employers of a positive test result..... /rant

icsheeple Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Did you not read dudes post? He passed his urine test but failed the hair follicle.

4. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    shave all your hair off and start over

5. VeganTrucker

VeganTrucker Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Dixie
    Yup. Only solution that will ensure you'll be clean. Of course, you'll have to wait a couple months to have enough hair to test but it's better then showing traces of drugs you never took.

dca Thanks this.
  6. DTM

DTM Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Texas
    It depends on what they are testing for. Most hair drug tests are 5 panel: cocaine, marijuana, amphetamines, opiates, PCP

Below explains how the test works.

XXXXXXXXXXX

First: Hair follicle tests cannot pick up drug useage 3 to 10 days prior to the test. This is due to the hair not growing through the scalp in time to be taken for the sample.

Head hair grows a half inch per month plus or minus a few tenths of an inch. If your hair grows really fast it may only take 3 days to go from the bulb, where metabolites are collecting, to then grow past the scalp, whereby it can be taken to be used in the sample; if your hair grows really slow, that process could take 10 days.

Second: The sample that is collected contains between 30 to 70 strands of hair. No matter how long your hair is, the $5 an hour employee who cuts your hair puts all of it in a sealed bag. At the lab, the $7.50 an hour tech measures and cuts hair to one and a half inches from base and throws the rest out. The one and a half inches is tested; with a possible detection time of 3 to 4 months, depending on how slow your hair grows.

Third: In order to fail, they must get concentrations above the cut off level; so even if they detect trace amounts you will still PASS if the amount of concentration level is lower than the cut off.

Four: Extremely small amounts of metabolites get trapped in the hair bulb as the hair cells are forming. And they do not get trapped evenly; at random, some hairs get more, some get less, and some get none at all trapped in the hair strand.

Statistically when they get 30 to 70 hair strands the lab's odds are greater to get a hit than if they only had one strand to test. And the lab is at the nanogram level so they don't need much. But depending on which drug they are testing for, the amount has to exceed that level or you pass.

Hair drug tests are not good at picking up low dose or infrequent use; and drug test companies often times hate to admit that, but other hair drug test companies freely do admit that it is one of their weaknesses (and it's about their only weakness).

I am not advocating that this means you are guaranteed to pass if you only popped one to three pills or smoked weed one to three times during detection period; but you are more likely to pass than fail. Once you go beyond 2 or 3 times during detection period; you will almost always fail. The odds of a fail continue to increase the more you did drugs in detection zone. (With marijuana its harder to calculate because much depends on quality and how much you inhaled.)

The smartest call you can make is not to do any drugs in detection zone prior to an upcoming hair test; but if it's too late then you might still be safe if you kept your drug usage during detection period to a minimum.

Too many false answers claiming guaranteed to fail or hair tests goes back 20 years, or they can pick up what you had for breakfast 40 years ago. Or the one I love the most is; it doesn't matter how short short your hair is because they still detect back 3 years. I guess these people think, your old hair tells the newly born hair what drugs you did years ago and just passes the information along from generation to generation of hair.

The test cannot detect metabolites if there aren't any in sample. If your head hair sample is a half inch long, your detection time is 2 to 6 weeks.

If your head hair is less than an inch and a half long, they are often authorized to take body hair. Body hair grows at slower rate and could, but not often, but could detect drug use up to a year back. It is not to your advantage to give them body hair, so don't shave your head just before the test. You are risking potentially longer detection times and more unpredictable results.

Cowboys76 and 59halfstep Thank this.
  7. Jerry12

Jerry12 Heavy Load Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Osmosis; curious why did you not have prior communication with your "girlfriend" to make sure this cross contamination will not occur? Case Study: i opened a bottle of hard liquor and decide to drive down the road with the bottle on the front seat. (Locked inside the Trunk is a better decision.) Vs. being charged with an open container.

8. a30dan1

a30dan1 Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2015
    Well I just got back home(love that greyhound)and will take a ten panel Follicle test in the morning. I have always been careful around her about the smoke(I'm also subject to drug tests at the job I left for trucking)and have been super particular since I started tech college for cdl .how I tested positive I absolutely don't have a f***king clue. If test is negative it will give me some ammo for a lawyer to maybe get schneider not to list this but I don't have my hopes up. If it is positive I really don't see how that could happen,osmosis or alien injection is as good an answer as any .but
    I absolutely just don't know.

9. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Hey! screw Schneider - I mean, they are not terrible but really, a mediocre choice. You can do better. Try Shaffer - they have a good rep and will start yo at 45-48 cpm with good miles and benefits . Or K&B: they are not too picky and will start at a minimum of 45 cpm with $1125/ week guarantee (and no hair follicle BS) - they got salary positions too that pay even better. And there are others easy to find.

10. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I think your girlfriend "....claims..." to have back pain as an excuse to smoke pot. She thought it would be funny to get you high and baked it in brownies or some other food.

I heard a driver recount how he had flunked a drug screen when he didn't smoke pot and after hours of wondering how he could have gotten marijuana recalled that he had a family meal where everyone brought something. He recalled that a sister-in-law that had bragged about how she used to get high on pot had brought brownies. He called her and confronted her about it and as it turns out she thought it would be funny if the entire family got high eating her brownies. He never talked to her again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.