so who makes it in this industry??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by txboy10, Dec 31, 2009.

1. LavenderTrucker

LavenderTrucker Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    I am sure there are lazy females out there, and ones that whine and complain.

My point was more about that whinning and complaining won't get you as far has hard work and a good attitude

Everyone knows o put their best foot forward at an interview. What a lot of people miss, is how many opportunities they miss out on while whinning and complaining.

A few days ago, we were at a TA. there was another OO there and he was talking to this guy, well as the conversation went on the guy whinned, complained and talked himself out of a job opportunty. When the OO approached him and asked how long he had been driving for his company and did he like it. It was because he was looking for a driver or one of his tucks, he thought the guy did a good job backing, and so he struck up a chat with him.

I didn't know that until a couple of days later when he called and said he had found a driver. He did the same thing, only at a shippers I believe, the conversation must of gone well and he offered the guy a job which he jumped at.

This guy doesn't put ads in the paper, he just finds drivers when he is out on the road.

So, I made a note, if I am always putting my best foot forward, opportunity may seek me out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Ding....Ding...Ding.....
    Post of the Day!!!!! :biggrin_25514:

I liked you from your first post......:biggrin_25525:

LavenderTrucker Thanks this.
  4. Working Class Patriot

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    That's Bullsheyat...and you know it......Where's Nana?????

You're lucky she's not here....that "Pointy Stick" rarely misses its mark...... :biggrin_25523:

5. Paddington

Paddington Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Cleveland, Ohio
    No, no, no...you've got it all wrong.
    These greenhorns with a couple years in the saddle or 0 miles under their belt know everything about the biz. :biggrin_2559:

I see rookies with their new trucking hats turning the key for .25 cpm.
    O/O hauling loads for less than a buck a mile.

Why should wages/rates go up when people take the low-rent junk being offered?
    And then do a fleece-purchase for .90 cpm plus FSC with a $600/wk payment on a truck they'll never own?

This industry will never get back to the days when drivers made good truckin' $$$.
    That's why I stay away from the irregular-route OTR circus.
    Too many chuckleheads willing to work/haul for chicken scratch.
    I'll stick with hauling mail and LTL and make double what these guys make plus home every night...and no truck payment.

6. Irishtrucker

Irishtrucker Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    This is a great thread and had a couple of questions myself.

Even if you are a standout driver with a "get er done" attitude, can you still shine at a big company. Will your dispatcher notice that and keep you moving or does it depend on your dispatcher?

How are trucking companies about someone showing up at their terminal or yard to talk to them about working for them, I always think its best to get face to face with a prospective employer but not sure how that works here. Dont want to get shot :biggrin_2559:. My plan would be to try and develop a relationship with some trucking companies in my area while I am in school, any advice on that would be great.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  7. Working Class Patriot

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    It's like any other job....You are selling your labor.....

Irishtrucker Thanks this.
  8. LavenderTrucker

LavenderTrucker Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    Paddington, Not all OO's are sell outs and haul loads for less than a buck.

I am a rookie, and have a lot to learn. I would just rather learn from an experienced trucker who is succeeding than one that can't even after years of experience.

I agree that there are bad companies out there, but playing their game and letting them call all the shots is not what the industry needs.

Instead of being chicken littles and and clucking about the trucking insdustries sky falling, it would be of better benefit not to lay daown for the big bottom feeders and let people to know, if they want to be a profssional driver and make a living, it is possible, if you work at it, work for a good company and roll with the up's and down's.

We deal with a couple shippers who would rather pay more for us and other professionals than put up with the bad trained rookies of crap of the big carriers.

I agree that there are bottom feeders out there. I am also saying there are good companies out there and OO's who are doing well. You decide who you want to roll with.
    I would not work for a bottom feeder being under paid. I also don't make excuses and blame others for what I make of it all.

RickG and JustSonny Thank this.
  9. Working Class Patriot

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    You can't remain an O/O if you haul for less than a buck...Even the "NAFTA" trucks need at least $1.01/m to run....

10. 2fuzy

2fuzy Road Train Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Granite Canon,WY
    simple rule every piece of work must make a profit or don't do it
    heard an ad on the sat radio trucking channel lease a truck and get a whole .93 a mile
    I feel #### sorry for the crowd that falls for it but it just keeps on happening these companies don't care if they make a cent of the fright there in the biz of selling a truck 5 times

11. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

That's the Trans-Am model and if you go to the Kenworth dealer in Olathe, Kansas (reportedly owned by TA owner Johnny Jacobson's wife) you will see it's a good model. For the company at least.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.