So you want to hot-shot? (Will be updated/edited frequently)

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by HOTSHOTTER432, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    It was, and I stand behind it even more so now. Bringing up helping people when they disagree with you is an extremely poor practice. I dont remember who helps me and who doesn't because helping shouldn't be put on a pedestal.

I disagree with some of your statements. Get over it.

2. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    You can disagree with me all you like, when it comes to opinions & different ways of operating. That is fine, and understood. We've all got different ways to go about trucking. But I gave the guy 100% on point factual information to consider..

Just because you are unaware of bobtail insurance, what it does, & how it works.. That is bad practice to put out disinformation..

Notice you've yet to produce a different name for said bobtail.?

And agreed, any assistance I volunteered your way in the past is irrelevant..

Instead of trying to make me look bad, could've just as easily said what is that, & why would a hotshot need it. I'd of let you know.. But instead you tell a guy he ain't in the right section, when you are clearly the one that don't know what he's talk'n about.. It's a long ways down from that high horse you're riding..

3. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    That it is. I was feeling some kind of way last night. My apologies

singlescrewshaker, markk and Lite bug Thank this.
  4. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Allow me to give some real world advice.
    First off, 15% to use another's authority is really not so bad. But I can get it for 10%. Either way both are lower than the usual 20 or so.
    Here is the thing and I am sure others have mentioned it also. You cant make any money owning equipment, hiring a driver, using others authority, paying broker ..... It just dont work. Not enough money in it unless this hotshot stuff pays real good.
    I worked for a friend. She decided to buy trucks [ big trucks ] and run pneumatic trailers hauling cement. Same situation. No authority and loads do not pay real big.
    I told her it would not work. My truck made 4k a week. that is barely enough for a o/o to survive. No way enough for a owner who pays driver and authority owner and broker.
    Out of business and I now work somewhere else .
    Drive it yourself or get own authority. You can not afford to shell out 30% to a broker and 15% to authority holder even if your truck is of course a pickup truck. It still needs maintenance and if diesel it is going to die on you because of that crappy EGR / DEF/ DPF stuff. If you buy one get it deleted by a qualified person. Cost 4500 for big truck and up at some places. Do not know about pickup trucks.
    Drove 3 trucks that cost big bucks in problems because of it until we deleted them. huge increase in mpg and power.
    Keep in mind that the new president said he will quickly undo the energy executive orders of the current president. Diesel was about 5 bucks under him and obama. So expect that to come right back when the restrictions are once again put on the energy industry.
    Did not mean to make this political , it is just the way it is and affects us all.

singlescrewshaker and Lite bug Thank this.
  5. markk

markk Medium Load Member

Nov 14, 2011
    20% for driver? That is cheap. I charge 28%. Average around here is 25%. This is for big trucks , end dumps etc..

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  6. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    No sweat.
    I took it as an attack, & lashed out as well.. We are both better than that. Sorry..

Bad way to kick off the new year. Let's turn it around.. :thumbup:

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  7. annw

annw Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2012
    I'm running light, I have a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax and hauling light, keeping under 10,001 lbs. I have to have a dot and mc# but no ifta

Lite bug Thanks this.
  8. rowekmr

rowekmr Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Is that the weight of loaded trailer or the weight of the payload itself? Are you able to keep running steady with the limitation of the 10,001 loads?

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  9. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Today already I’ve turned down several loads paying high mileage rates. Just told a broker if his load that’s paying $12.00 a mile wasn’t going to pick up and deliver today, I’d have to turn it down. It’s only going 60 miles.

Thursday/Friday before a holiday, I’m not about to tie up my only expedited truck in Southern California on a 60 mile run. I’ll roll the dice and see if something paying more will pop up. That’s what happened last Thursday. I booked a 2,900 lb 16’ expedited load, picking up Friday morning, that was going 731 miles, paying $3,800.00. Sometimes it pays to gamble.

CA39252C-7B9F-4C4D-830F-68B67009800E.jpeg

singlescrewshaker and Lite bug Thank this.
  10. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Just got back from moving that $12.00 per mile power on load. I insisted that the broker TQL put an extra $1,000 for layover on the rate confirmation just incase the receiver wasn’t there to accept the load when I got there. Knowing how bad LA traffic can be, especially right before a holiday weekend I wasn’t going to get stuck in it if I could help it. It’s a good thing I grew up down there and know some short cuts. . My short cut saved me at least two hours of sitting in traffic on the 91 freeway coming home.

77D23C12-D297-466C-A8C8-1828F64D7C23.jpeg

Lite bug and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.