SoCal, Looking at getting into CDL driving

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JackCA, Sep 25, 2018.

1. JackCA

JackCA Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    I just moved here 9 months ago and I'm looking at getting a CDL. I've been reading this forum the past couple days trying to decide the best course of action. I have the GI Bill if I wanted to go the school route, but that means no paycheck for a month plus. If I go the company route then it seems I still don't get payed (not counting pay advance) for a month plus. Currently have a mortgage and all the fun bills that come with living in this expensive place heh. I think the wife and I could manage for a month if I new the prospects would be good.
    What are the chances out of school that I can make 50k?
    What are the same chances going through a company?
    Would I be better off finding a local driving job sans CDL? Do they pay even close to 50?

Any advice would be great.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Easy to make over $50K right out of school.
    Where are you in Southern California?

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check with Foodliner. This company hires new cdl grads from accredited cdl schools. List of terminals is on the website.
    • Less than 12 months Class A Truck Driving experience, requires a Truck Driving School Certificate, and Extended Training
    • NEW PAY PACKAGE:

$22.00 Per Hour---Driving

$18.50 per hour on duty time

$1250 a week guarantee.

Class A CDL Company Truck Drivers

Foodliner, Inc. is one of the largest bulk food carriers in the country and a Transport Topic Top 100 carrier. We are looking for Professional Class A Truck Drivers to join our team. Our current driver averages $70,000/year with the potential to make $80,000/year or more!

• [​IMG][​IMG]

snowlauncher and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pacific Tank Lines is a new, rapidly growing company with locations in San Diego, Huntington Beach, Long Beach, Van Nuys, Sylmar, Bakersfield, Fresno, Las Vegas, Riverside and Atlanta Georgia. We offer excellent opportunities for safe, service oriented drivers. We provide some of the best pay in the industry. Drivers receive superb training. We supply drivers with state of the art equipment and an excellent working atmosphere.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Note: the ads say "12 mos experience preferred", not "12 mos. experience required."

Paddlewagon Thanks this.
  6. JackCA

JackCA Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    That's great to hear! Thanks for the quick reply, I'm a little north of fontana. I'll look into these companies asap.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you get tired of the high cost of living there; come on out to Nevada. Seems half the cars I see have California tags and they're in residential areas, not in the tourist areas. Many are parents taking their children to the same schools where mine go. No state income taxes and no food taxes.

snowlauncher, bottomdumpin and rpad139 Thank this.
  8. Tbone$

Tbone$ Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Kentucky
    I say, get your cdl from an independent school. That way you aren't stuck somewhere you aren't happy at trying to work out an over-rated contract with the company that schooled you for a cdl.. in other words stay away from company paid schools. Just my opinion of course.

9. JackCA

JackCA Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    If #### hits the fan then relocation is definitely gonna have to be an option. Do any of these companies pay anything at all while you are training? I've been trying to research that and haven't come up with a solid answer.

Ideally I would go to school, but that means no income for that amount of time.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider has the Military Apprenticeship Program and also pays for cdl school. If you attend a private cdl school and pay for it yourself, Schneider will reimburse the tuition back to you at $200.00 monthly up to $7000.00
    Probably make the most money in their tanker division. They also have an intermodal division near you hauling containers out of the rail yards and sea ports.
    "Truck drivers earn up to $75,000 per year* and get home daily in this Local Intermodal CDL driver position. Intermodal truckers haul 99% no-touch freight containers — 80% drop-and-hook — in and out of the rail yards within 100 miles of San Bernardino, CA. In fact, a truck driver’s day begins and ends at the rail yard. Start your Local trucking career in Schneider’s Intermodal division today!"
    • Credit for Military Experience and Military Apprenticeship programs, plus more military benefits
    • [​IMG][​IMG]
    • Personally, I'd rather pull tankers than intermodal, but that's my opinion.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some cdl schools have night or weekend school. This is for people that need to keep their current job while attending cdl school.
    I only know of 2 companies that pay while attending their cdl school and they're Roehl Transport and Online Transport. Problem is, I don't think they hire in California.
    Robertson's Ready Mix is all over Southern California and has their own cdl school. Don't know if they pay or not. You'd be local working there.
    [​IMG] upload_2018-9-25_19-38-53.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.