Some CB help with SR 655HP

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by HD_Renegade, May 16, 2019.

1. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    I upgraded to a Stryker SR 655HP. Has been converted to CB use and is supposed to be putting out 150 watts or so.

Trying to understand all the knobs. Can someone please help me understand Mic Gain settings ? If the Mic Gain is turned all the way up what is the result, and if it is turned down to far what is the result ?

One of my settings at some point with something is or was off. I had some squealing noise from the radio when I was talking into the mic. Not really sure what setting (knob) may cause this.

Can you folks help me understand how to better use my Stryker. I depend on my raido while driving down the road.

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    The Stryker 655hp uses 4 mosfet finals and pep output is rated at 70+ watts, dont know about 150 watts, anyways, if the radio has a proper tune/ alignment you should ( and want to ) be able to set mic gain at 100% without any problems like squeal or feedback with talkback on using a good noise canceling mic.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Yeah 150 sounds high unless modified. I am used to seeing around 70

For the squeal I would immediately suspect the talkback. Turn it down and see what happens

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Turn the mic gain midway, and the mon control all the way off, and echo gain off. This should stop the squeal.

free2fly973 Thanks this.
  6. HD_Renegade

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    How would it be or get modified for it to put out 150 ?? Just trying to see if this shop took advantage of me.

7. HD_Renegade

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    I think I have tracked the squeal issue to the MON being on ??

I forgot to add, I use an external speaker with my CB to I can hear it. With the radio mounted in a 780 Volvo the stock speaker was being restricted.

Echo, and talk back are both turned off. I am parked for 2 days as my load does not pick up until Monday morning.

Going to see what I can figure out with the radio during this time too.

Thank you for input you have given as well as anything else you can offer.

8. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    Possibly removed modulation limiter, that could be why it squeals, still twice the rated wattage, I would say they have a happy watt meter.

9. HD_Renegade

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Damit I knew I should have just waited till I got back thru Knoxville TN and bought thru the guy I trust.

10. wolverine11

Apr 1, 2015
    Easy fix to reinstall limiter if indeed it was removed or circuit was bypassed. I once made that mistake with my Galaxy 99v2 and had Clays cb fix it.

11. HD_Renegade

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    The CB guy in Knoxville has always treated me good. He setup my Stryker 447. I was getting a new 5 foot Firestick antenna and made the mistake about asking about the 655.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.