Some info on lowbeds in BC Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by MartinFromBC, Jul 6, 2019.

1. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I get some PM's on here asking me questions, and some people even send me their phone numbers and ask if I will call them.
    So I decided to start a thread and post just a few bits of information.
    Before I even begin, I also want to mention that you can Google the phone number, and call any commercial scale in BC, they are generally very friendly and helpful.
    I will use the trip I am on currently as a sample. Since I have a newer driver in the drivers seat, getting her training at the moment, I can be on my phone.
    Even empty this Tri-axle lowbed is 10 feet wide, so it must be permitted always. This is easy to do and cheap, I buy an annual permit for it at a cost of only $360, which lets me pull it despite being 10 wide. This Mack truck has balloons on the front, and is a Tri-drive, the trailer is a Knight brand 53' long Tri-axle. Without any extra permits I can legally haul 7300 kgs (16094 lbs) on the steers, 24000 kgs ( 52911 lbs) on the drives, and 24000 kgs ( 52911 lbs ) on the trailer. Legally speaking right now I am okay for weight as the piece of equipment we are hauling is only about 31660 kgs ( 69800 lbs ). Height and length of it is okay, but unfortunately it's wider than the trailer is, so i have it well flagged, and an extra permit in place for the width of 10'11" wide.
    Something to remember is that they require me to have a minimum of 27% of the weight that is on my drive tires at any given time, on my steer tires. So in layman's terms, if I were to have 10,000 kgs on my drive tires I must have at least 2,700 kgs on my steer tires.
    Now permits are easy to get, and the toll free phone number is 1-800-559-9688 before you call have the information ready such as your route, how much you may need say for overweight and oversize for that particular trip.
    It may restrict your routes being over weight or size, but its just part of the job.
    With this truck and trailer combination I could also with permits haul up to a maximum of 8800 kgs ( 19401 lbs )on my steering axle, 28000 kgs ( 61729 lbs ) on my drive tires, and 29000 kgs ( 63934 lbs ) on my trailer.
    Yes I am allowed to permit for more on my trailer than on my drives, that is not a typo. We have hauled 4 different pieces of equipment these past 3 days, each requiring its own special set of permits, from overweight, to overweight, width, and height, down to just a simple load like this which is only over width. We had an excavator on yesterday that was over on everything but length, and I could just scale it with maximum permits, once I moved my 5th wheel ahead to get more weight on my steer tires, to get my drivers legal, and when we stopped for fuel because we were down to 1/16 th left, I didn't fill up, only put on about a 1/3 fuel so we could reach our destination and not be overweight.
    It is not hard, and getting permits is super easy.
    Run tight chains guys, and be careful out there....all the best to all of you.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 13pete

13pete Guest

It falls under the same annual permit... Please tell me your not one of those people who runs his oversize signs all the time empty.... one of my biggest pet peeves

4. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018
    Little red flags permanently on the sides and corners of my trailer, as the law requires because when empty, it is still considered over sized.

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  5. 13pete

13pete Guest

Yes the law requires the flags, it does not require the signs when empty

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  6. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018
    No I don't run those.

7. 13pete

13pete Guest

Thank god, everyone seems to be so dam lazy to take them off in BC and I don't know why scales wont issue tickets for it. In Alberta they do.

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I was really good about following the rules, but one time after making a delivery to the Helmet area I got distracted during my routine and forgot to remove the front sign. Went through the scale at Ft. Nelson and as I'm rolling up the guy saunters out of the scale trailer, down the steps and across the scale and starts to light up a cigarette. I'm thinking, "No problem." Just as I'm about to roll by he stops me and says, "You know, if you remove that sign from your front bumper I won't have to write you a ticket." o_O

Done. :D

Nothereoften and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  9. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018
    I was told i am good until i exceed 10.5 feet.

10. 13pete

13pete Guest

its actually 10'6 or 82 feet.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  11. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018
    Yes...part of the reason I am reluctant to buy a wider bed.
    Would like an 11 wide sometimes though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.