Some info on p&d

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Seebs, May 26, 2018.

1. Seebs

Seebs Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Ohio
    Hey guys

Trying to get little more information on p&d, what exactly do, average day and so on. Currently work as a jockey at an ltl and we've been pretty desperate for city guys lately. I already have my CDL but have spent the last 7 years as a jockey and only drove for a little before that. Was thinking city might be a good way to get myself back into driving and get over some of my nerves there.

Main reason I ask about p&d is you hear some rough stuff from drivers quite a bit and I work nights so don't really get a chance to pick the brain of my guys.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. some other trucker

some other trucker Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Try to get an idea of what dispatch will have you do if you make yourself available for city work. Will they recognize that you are getting you feet wet again and go easy on you (start you off with a only few deliveries/pickups) or are you guys so desperate for city drivers that they will send you out with as much work as possible just to keep the freight moving?

Talk with the city guys at your barn and see what their workload is like. You might consider taking an early afternoon bid as most of the deliveries are out with the drivers by late morning. You may wind up doing none/few deliveries and making pickups for most of your shift. That would be a way to ease back into driving on the street.

carl320 Thanks this.
  4. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Your manager should send you out with a competent, experienced city driver for a day or two. That will help train you and let you see what the day entails.

MACK E-6 and Puppage Thank this.
  5. scj_87

scj_87 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2010
    OK
    Yeah if they take you on, i assume you'll pretty much have to be trained as a new driver on their policies, paperwork and handheld at least. Plus given the fact that you'll be new to city driving they'll get you up to speed on that as well. I wont lie though, some stops will test your patience and backing skills for sure.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  6. Seebs

Seebs Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Ohio
    Oh I know I'll have to go through as a new driver. We have a school, so Id have to do part of that then go out with a trainer for some time. That's fine with me, don't want to get thrown right into it.

I think my concern is my confidence
    I was a decent enough driver when I did drive but got nervous around weather situations. Of course this was seven years ago so who knows now. I've done the yard since then and do very well at it so my maneuverability and what not, I'm not overly concerned with. But been a long time since I took a trailer over 40mph or on a road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.