Some numbers for new O/O

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by DUNE-T, Aug 23, 2018.

1. 2 CHAINS

2 CHAINS Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2018
    I did that once for my cummins it was a 75 relay that cost 852.00 to install. I learned Where When and how to change replace relays after that. On a cummins they were simple to install just a little knowledge can save you 1000s

KB3MMX and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cybercat

Cybercat Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    East Tn
    Here in the east we run mountains. So our fuel is 1600 a Week not a month. Our trailer payment is much higher also as itsca refer. We average about same for a week 5 to 6 grand. But we will never ever use used parts again. They might be cheap at time but when they break can cost you a whole lot more in what they take with them.
    Preventative cost is buying parts Before they go so you don't waste weeks broke down waiting for repairs on the road. We have a great mechanic here at home for stuff we can't handle at home.

Case in point we just lost a fuel tank strap. To replace the strap it cost us $1000.00. That was the Strap only not the labor. We went and bought strap as it was special order. Yes you see that right itsca grand. We were lucky we didn't have to replace fuel tank too but it didn't hit the ground when strap broke and we were turning into a truck stop at the time. We were down in TX so just used a ratchet strap to get home. We bought part and our mechanic had to put it on as it's a 2 man procedure that requires empty tank since whole tankbhascto be removed. Since we have old truck it a 05 Freightliner classic it requires bolt cut as they were rusted. This was all happening when that winter storm hit the east. So there was zero way we could have done it as we do not have a enclosed bay to work in. When all was said and done it took a little longer because of those issues. For us it would have been a week at least. I am guessing it would have been days somewhere else and way more costly.
    This is just one of those fluke breaks that could really put you in a bind in wrong area.
    So it's all relative in money in and money out. We run more states but not per load. We also get paid by percentage of load and not by mile. Our home cost run about same as you also. Were just now full in the black after leaving last company we got truck from and leasing onto our new one. So for us even though on paper we have been OOs for 3 years. Truthfully it's only been 6 months that we have really been OO and full say and responsible for truck. Makes a huge difference in money too.

KB3MMX, Tug Toy and dwells40 Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    WINNER!!!!!

"Stay there until it runs out."

Cause some schnook is gonna come by and undercut you, be it mega or some guy that's in over his head and will slice his own mother's thtoat, or the need will run out.

TheRoadWarrior and KB3MMX Thank this.
  5. Highandslow87

Highandslow87 Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2018
    I hear yea on the mountains. I run pretty much all flat and only go about 1200 miles out.

I get the used parts thing. at this time I am willing to do it. I will not reuse safety equipment tho. And I do buy new stuff to have in stock.

Sucks about the tank. Like 2-3 years ago some company driver pulled into our yard with the tank dragging on the ground. He literally could not understand how that was unsafe. He drove like 15miles like that.

I have talked to so many O/O I have lost count. I did an insane amount of research talked to who ever would talk to me and then did more research before I decided to to buy a truck.

I also sold all my toys like side by side and dirt bike and everything else to have money in the bank so I wasn't running on credit cards.

The only reason I even said anything is it just blows my mind that some guys have 17k a month in expenses. I try an run for the lowest I can. Its not always the easiest but my hope is to be way ahead in 3 years when the truck is paid off.

dwells40 and Cybercat Thank this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It's not $17k in just truck expenses, driver's pay is included in there

7. Highandslow87

Dec 19, 2018
    I get that. I guess I just pay myself way to low. But I am of the mind set I can take less right now so the company can make money. My wife also works but it's part time from home so she pretty much just survives off that and o think that helps big time.

8. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Its expensive to run a truck... thats why its hard for 1 truck shows to keep up.. If you had 3 then the other 2 would pick up slack for the one who is down..

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Highandslow87

Dec 19, 2018
    You are not wrong. My goal is to have 4 trucks but it has to make sense to me money wise. But I think the benefit of more trucks out way the negatives.

Mr.hustle Thanks this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I've noticed from people around me who ventured to grow beyond 1 truck that having only 1 or 2 more never works. You have to add and add and add until they get 10 and then they stop #####ing and instead of buying 11th they get a brand new BMW of which I am not very fond of anyway. When they stop adding they regress.

KB3MMX and Mr.hustle Thank this.
  11. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Ford all day

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.