Some questions about my mentor

Discussion in 'Swift' started by silentlysailing, Nov 6, 2011.

1. silentlysailing

silentlysailing Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2010
    DFW, TX
    Don't know. I just documented everything. There are good ones, but you have to find them. A recruiter could tell you all that as far as where they hire out of. Yes some terminals are better than others. Due to the account that I'm working on, I rarely see the actual swift terminal though and didn't see many in training. You put in a zip code when you request home time, and they should route you there.

TooGroovy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    For most terminals, yes, you can park there for hometime, but Wilmington may not allow it. That is a small yard, and they are a little grumpy about letting drivers in sometimes. Check first before you plan to park there long term. Same with Otay Mesa. All the rest, you should be good.

TooGroovy Thanks this.
  4. TooGroovy

TooGroovy Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    Hey SS, thanks for responding, and way to go... toughening it out!! I really mean that! Take what is posted here lightly, there is some really valuable information in TTR, but you decided to become a trucker because you did not want someone breathing down your neck... so don't let the opinions of people in the internet stress you much.
    With that being said, everyone here is in your corner and they do have experience dealing with the "types"...
    I spend most of my free time reading the experiences of people like you and them so I know what to expect in a couple of months when I have enough money saved up to begin my trucking career (something I learned here: don't begin broke!!!!!).

5. TooGroovy

TooGroovy Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    Thanks 1, Swift is definitely in top 3 of my list... I think it would be a good place to learn the business. I have read a lo of threads and they seem FAIR and they have a really good school... which is all that can be expected. Trainers is a crap shoot no matter where you go for what I have read...unless you go to Werner and then its all bad and then the nightmare begins.
    One question I have is, they have a refrigerated unit? Is that the better fleet or does it matter? Is it more complicated to run reefer? Is it more technical and more hassle? When you run dry van do you have to constantly be loading and unloading after you drive 11 hours?

6. silentlysailing

silentlysailing Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2010
    DFW, TX
    The good people at swift do tend to stick together and take care of each other though. I really like some of my dispatchers actually and some of the staffers and still talk to my last mentor. Thats where I can't complain too much.

They apparently have a reefer division in arizona (don't know if it's otr though), but the Target account is reefer too. I know target is a better fleet with newer trucks assigned. The trailers here are definitely in better shape too. Reefer is a little more complicated. Especially with these since they are divided with 2 sets of doors. You make multiple stop runs as well. My load tomorrow has 6 stops on it. But mind you it isnt driver unload. I do help sometimes, if I want to get out of a stop faster. It is also a little more technical with fueling and getting the information out of the refer unit. Then there is the tieing of pallets down between stops on this account. There is also more paperwork, and you have to send the macros in for the temperatures. Target is notorious for tougher to get into docks as well.

Dry van is normally no touch too. But some loads require loading or unloading. They do have accounts though where you load and unload like sears.

TooGroovy Thanks this.
  7. Flyntstone

Flyntstone Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Birmingham, AL
    I think I wound up with a pretty cool DM. Now if I can just get the hang of this Qualcomm!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.