Somewhat New Guy

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by tobybul, Jan 7, 2021.

1. tobybul

tobybul Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Hi y'all. Just signed up. I don't drive a truck but would appreciate some advise. Getting back to CB. Haven't been since 80s. Used to have a Cobra 19 that after sitting around for 30+ years decided not to operate. Used to be paired with a K40 antenna. So now I'm in the market to use while traveling for road conditions, traffic and weather and would appreciate suggestions. Having been away for 40+ years I've been scouring the internet to research radios and antennas. Looks like mostly same brands (Cobra, Uniden, Midland) and a few new ones (President, Galaxy, Stryker) . I first started looking at units with ssb but decided against it since I'm sensing not much chatter there for my purposes. But I want a unit that I won't have to upgrade again. After looking at reviews of various brands, I'm thinking about a President Johnson II paired with a magnet mount whip since it's for my car. Might get an swr meter for more accurate calibration. Haven't quite decided on the antenna yet. I know there are many less expensive options out there but like I said I don't really want to upgrade again. This President CB (or similar) probably has more than what I need.

Anyway, this is what I am initially thinking. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Oh, and also suggestions on where to purchase. Other than Amazon, I see online places like RightChannel and CBWorld. I'm somewhat partial to Amazon bc they have excellent customer service and are so easy to deal with especially on returns. I'm always leery about getting stuff from unfamiliar stores bc I have no history on their support and customer service. But open to suggestions.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 715

715 Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2018
    GA
    All depends on what you want in a radio all different prices for the newer radios out on the market now days. The best radios to get is the Stryker 497, 655 and 955 (955 has sideband as well). Some of the over the road drivers are you using the Stryker 655, 955 and the Stryker 497. I own the Stryker 955 one of the best radios I've ever own. I came from the Magnum S-9 radio (still one of the best radios to own when you can find one).

Lot of CB Shops that are recommendable to purchase from especially Bells CB in South Florida and Wolfman CB Shop in Carnesville, GA. Yes, I have been to both shops lots of times and never had any issues with the service with them always great service with the staff.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Get your 19 fixed, have it properly aligned and put the money into the antenna.

Tall Mike, jdchet, Numb and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. Ronniev1262

Ronniev1262 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2020
    Do you have any CB shops in your area? I'd try and find a good one in your area and talk to them. They will peak and tune it for you too. Good luck!

6. tobybul

tobybul Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2021
    I
    Yes, there's a cb shop nearby and couple of truck stops within 30 min. I called the CB Store the other day day just to check what they have. Mostly Uniden and cobra. But I did not like how they handled the call. It was the owner I spoke with and he sounded like a &@$* philosopher. Way to entice ppl to visit his store. More like he scared me off.

My go-to is usually Amazon because it easy to deal with them and I can easily return stuff in case they dont work out.

7. tobybul

tobybul Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2021
    The Cobra is gone. Wish I kept it along with my K40 whip.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Get another

they are cheap.

9. tobybul

tobybul Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2021
    I hear ya. But I kinda prefer the more modern look with digital read out. They have the LX but that also $$$$$.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.