Southeastern or Conway Freight?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by RoadCall, May 9, 2014.

1. RoadCall

RoadCall Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Haven't seen anything recent posted on Southeastern, yet have read lots of negative reviews on Conway. Are all Conway Freight terminals run the same or is it possible my terminal could be a little better or god forbid worse! Lol

Im supposed to start with Conway on Monday and have a lot of doubt going in due to all the negative comments on here. My guess is that if I put a year in with Conway it should help me get into one of the better freight companies later?

I've read enough on here to know who the top dogs are, UPSF, ABF, YRC and OD. From everything I've read Conway is the worst. I seen an ad today for Southeastern, are they alot better than Conway?

Some of the other local freight companies in my area are SAIA, Averitt, AAA Cooper, FedEx Freight, Ward.

How does Southeastern compare to Conway and the rest of the bunch?

Please help!

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Con-Way flex board wears most people out working 14 hour days with only 10 hours off then work another 10 hours. I don't know why that is even legal since I can only work or drive 11 hours then only work after the 11th hour.

RoadCall and CenutryClass Thank this.
  4. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    They don't drive over 11 .... Prob lucky if they drive 7 hrs but can work or be onduty til 14th hour

5. RoadCall

Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah as I posted I'm well aware of the negative aspects of working for Conway, thanks anyway. I'm already stressing about what I'm in for, don't need anymore bad news about my new job, lol.

I'm looking for information regarding Southeastern and how they compare to Conway and the rest.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  6. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    I think SEFL runs alot more 53 ft trl's rather than doubles and less dock time

RoadCall Thanks this.
  7. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Anywhere but con-way..But try it, it may work for you..if you are a glutton for punishment. Guys are reportedly quitting in droves. And these are guys with 10+ years. It is rough here. At most locations, DO NOT expect to drive much. Lots and lots of toyota seat time.

Word is cameras on the docks
    Cameras in the trucks.
    The drivers have just been beaten down.

I had a 200 mile schedule, 3 hrs each way and 6-7 hours on the dock. Then they want you back to work within 10 hrs from punchout. So that includes the drive home, back to work as well.

If anyone read my earlier posts, I used to think LTL was the holy grail of driving. For some it might be, to me it is not. It is a rough way to live, absolutely no home life. You are at work more than you are at home. Terrible if you have a family even, especially if you are at the bottom. Your hours will vary and flip flop from night to days and back again in the same week.

cool35, Sleeptalker and kimbosa Thank this.
  8. RoadCall

Mar 12, 2012
    Yes that's exactly what I asked for, more information about Conway, thanks.

9. 70s_driver

70s_driver Medium Load Member

May 4, 2014
    Southeastern would probably be the better choice. They've been around for years and years. Last I heard, they paid really good too. Used to be a hard company to get on with, don't know now? They are one of the oldest companies still around.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    RoadCall Thanks this.
  10. 70s_driver

70s_driver Medium Load Member

May 4, 2014
    Just for the fun of it, These were the Mega Carriers when I was a kid. Shows how times change. (course I may be forgetting a few?)

Roadway (was #1 for many years)
    Yellow Freight (Oddly, Roadway's biggest competitor who now owns Roadway lol)
    Consolidated Freight (CF)
    Brown Transport
    ABF
    Southeastern Freight Lines (SEFL)
    Carolina Freight
    Campbell 66
    SAIA
    AAA Cooper
    Baggett Transportation (Van, Flatbed & Tanker)
    Midwestern Distribution (Best I can Remember the first company to offer Lease Purchase for $1.00 Down?))
    Smith Transport (ST)
    Old Dominion (OD)
    Spartan
    Overnite Transportation (Now owned by UPS)
    Terminal Transport
    Mason Dixon
    Barnes Freight Lines
    Leonard Brothers Trucking Co (Specialized Haulers who hauled the trains to Six Flags when they opened)
    Osborne Truck Lines
    MS Carriers
    Tri State Motor Transport (Mostly hauled Explosives)
    McLendon Trucking
    Schwerman Tank Lines
    Chemical Leaman Tank Lines
    Sevice Transport
    Central Transport

As you can see, very few of those are still around. Again, These are the ones I remember. Im sure theres others I don't.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    pathfinder1361 and Shaggy Thank this.
  11. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006

for someone new and asking for information, you sure have a smart mouth for someone looking for a job.

Pintlehook, XFM2013 and Dinomite Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.