Southwestern Energy to cut 44% of workforce.

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Chinatown, Jan 21, 2016.

1. oft driver

oft driver Bobtail Member

May 2, 2016
    Yes it is a bad thing for us that work in the oilfield. I understand the country is bigger than west Texas. While everyone was hating high gas prices and calling us greedy for making dang good money we were spending days or weeks away from our families. Risking our lives in a very dangerous profession in order to put a roof over our loved ones heads. Now with lower prices our wages have dropped to barely liveable. But the dangers are still there. Without even trying I can count at least 25 people that I know that are unemployed . Not due to lack of trying neither. So enjoy low gas prices because American workers are suffering while folks from other countries are pulling the puppet strings.

tucker and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Exactly what I said but with extra words + hurt feelings.

Just get another (better) job. Those oil jobs never payed very good anyway. Drivers just worked extremely long hours.

4. oft driver

oft driver Bobtail Member

May 2, 2016
    Yea I was a little upset my bad. Had a tough day. I'm trying to find a better one

dogtrucker Thanks this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I was an oil field worker until late in 2012.
    As soon as the price of oil goes back to where it was in 2012 I can go back to work until then I have to work for pennies doing something I don't like

6. dogtrucker

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    You don't have a good job now? Why not?
    Those oil jobs offered long hours, but that was about it; the hourly wage was nothing special.

I must say, I think you are the first I have ever seen who said they actually liked doing those jobs. What did you like about it?

7. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    At 25% of $10 per barrel X 260 Barrel for 5 hours worth of work what's not to like?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    That was company driver wages. Owner operators got 100% of the Barrel Rate if they had their own contract.

9. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Where were you hauling 260 barrels? That would be close to 80,000 lb of product alone?

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Quite often we did when DOT was not around.
    Only if there was enough in the tank also.
    We never did it during daylight hours

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  11. dogtrucker

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Short-term, bell-end examples are the exception that proves the rule.
    When making career choices, the "big win" is usually a mirage and so, not a good metric for determining one's next move. If we are depending on being in the right place at the right time to take advantage of some brief market volatility, we will usually be disappointed. Even when lucky we see here, in the one "successful" example above, that it didn't last and raised unrealistic expectations resulting in a rather unhappy attitude about being in more typical circumstances.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.