Sparks, Nv which company to work for?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Grove_LA, May 14, 2022.

1. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    For me personally, it's getting better the longer I am with them, of course you probably already know we have that driver facing camera thing and I still really don't like it, but I have managed to tolerate it and I am going on 4 years with Saia, the TM here is great, he came up the ranks in the company starting as a dockworker then a driver then dispatch and now a TM so he relates to us, and to me that makes a big difference, he isn't into playing games or unessary camera coaching, he just cares about the job getting done and everyone getting home safely, the rest of management is mostly pretty chill too, it pretty much just policy stuff you have to worry about, make sure you use your padlocks for the trailers, don't text while driving the truck, don't smoke or vape in the truck, generally just stuff like that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grove_LA

Grove_LA Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Actually sounds pretty great. No real reason to worry about the driver facing camera when if you do things the right way. I remember hearing it was a little over the top early on but it’s gotten better. I like what I hear about the TM being someone who’s been through it all. That goes a long way. Do you happen to know what the pay is there for P&D guys?

4. USMC 3531

Dec 11, 2016
    As far as building seniority here I can only speculate, but we will be moving from a 40 something door dinosaur of a terminal that was originally a Willig terminal back in the day to a brand new built for Saia 84 door terminal expandable to 130 doors next year, we currently sit at 25 line drivers and approximately 20 something P&D drivers on the board, to put that in perspective, OD is already pushing over 45 line drivers at their Reno terminal, atleast the same amount if not more P&D drivers and I believe their terminal is already over 120 maybe 130 doors, and they are still growing, if that's any indication, I see Saia growing alot here in Reno.

5. USMC 3531

Dec 11, 2016
    Top scale is currently $29.86 an hour at our terminal, I don't know what starting pay is but it's 2 years of wage progression from date of hire, plus the annual raises every July, they are supposed to be announcing how much the annual raise will be here soon, oh and overtime is after 40 hours a week from what I understand.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Estes does the two seniority list thing too?

7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    You positive on that? It was after 45 hours for me here in MA not too long ago unless they changed the policy.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Different state law in MA vs NV?

9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I’d normally suspect that, but I tend to look at MA like CA in many ways, that one or both will try to lead the way in the most restrictive levels of state legislation. Labor, firearms, environment, take your pick and either seems to try to out do another. So from that perspective, I just tend to look at carriers like R+L, Old Dominion, Saia etc getting away with not paying O/T immediately after 40 in Mass, that nationally with the exception of California it’s probably legal.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  10. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Yes two seniority boards, so if me with 5 years seniority on the linehaul board went to city I’d be at the bottom and start building seniority on that board. I’d still keep my full pay rate regardless but still bottom of the list. You do keep your linehaul seniority if you were to go back to that board though, just start where you left off

11. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    Drivers retiring or moving out.

USMC 3531 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.