SPD (Smokey Point Dist.)

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by pes2, Aug 13, 2019.

1. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    Expect a pti/road test Monday.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pes2

pes2 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Monticello, Florida

Thank you sir! Appreciate it.

jamespmack, Oxbow and Tug Toy Thank this.
  4. silinus vers

silinus vers Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2015
    how does SPD compare to COTC, any thoughts?? i'm in the oil field now, but i'm sick of the work (not the money) and I used to haul flatbed before I switched to tankers, but i'm so sick of tankers, sick of fumes. tankers are kinda like van in that every load looks the same. i'm so bored and miss flatbed otr so much i'm willing to care less about the money.
    how is SPD tarping policy? is it as bad as COTC. i dont get why even the dumbest things need to be tarped.
    Roehl was never that bad.
    thanks for any replies i get

5. pes2

pes2 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Monticello, Florida
    From my understanding SPD tarps about 90%of the loads if not more. I’m sure the current hands that work there can address this better than myself.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  6. pes2

pes2 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Monticello, Florida
    Central Oregon Trucking

jamespmack and Karl Childers Thank this.
  7. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    Today was the first time I tarped in roughly 5, maybe 6, weeks. I delivered a tarped load two weeks ago but I didn’t tarp it myself...

SPD has a good chunk of QuickDraw, curtain sides, and Aero trailers... so even if it needs a tarp you may or may not have to actually “tarp.” COTC has them as well but I’ve been told it’s reserved for more tenured drivers... at SPD you may as well have a different trailer on every trip so you’ll get to pull basically everything as soon as you start.

We have two and three piece tarp sets — tend to see more three piece sets. And we have specialized tarp sets for certain loads...

Something to consider... SPD is an LTL company. Multiple stops. Multiple drops. On top of that we haul a lot of time sensitive, odd shaped freight.... You may have four or five stops under one tarp... if you don’t like tarping you’re gonna be miserable.

jamespmack, kylefitzy and pes2 Thank this.
  8. pes2

pes2 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Monticello, Florida
    Good info! I’ll take all I can get! Thank you sir!

jamespmack Thanks this.
  9. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I seen your name on the orientation schedule for next week. You'll do fine though your going to be with a larger group and the guy who is supposed to handle orientation is on vacation so......you'll get to see a lot of Teresa and probably Sean.

They put you up in a really nice hotel, right in the middle of a decent area for food, groceries etc. The BBQ place in the parking lot of the hotel is decent but pricey.

You'll do fine, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. Don't smoke or eat anything from the building next door to the terminal if you want to pass the whiz quiz. It's a 420 processor LOL Great craft brewery a couple blocks away and at some point someone will introduce you to Buzz Inn Steakhouse, good food, good drinks (if you drink).

I'll PM you my number, don't hesitate to call me if you need anything.

10. pes2

pes2 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Monticello, Florida
    Thank you!!! See ya next week! Great info and insight! Been known to knock back a few cold ones. First round is on me!

jamespmack Thanks this.
  11. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Well, you won't see me, my office is in Wichita, KS. And, not to be a downer, I don't drink either but I make a #### good designated driver.

jamespmack, SL3406, Oxbow and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.