Special Tools for Flatbeds???

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by spellman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. spellman

spellman Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Spring Lake, NC
    What tools are needed for flat bed drivers and if you are a company driver will the company provide these tools?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    Please read the other posts on the flatbed forum about tools. If you are talking about securement equipment then your company should supply.

4. flatbedder

flatbedder Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Illinois
    definetly get a strap winder. that'll probably be outta your pocket but is a must have

5. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Also I would suggest a large roll of plastic for covering loads and a good sharp knife.

6. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    Get a crow bar so you arent one of those lazy animals who leave nails in the floor.

SHC Thanks this.
  7. da1

da1 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2011
    SC
    i hate plastic but its needed for certain tarped loads...i also hate it when a shipper wraps something that isnt going to be tarped i usually end up fighting it b4 i drop the load

8. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I usually wrap electrical loads with it before I put my tarps on. Helps me have a little assurance that it will arrive dry when I get it there.......hopefully.

9. westtexasflash

westtexasflash Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Aledo, Texas
    Plastic is a nuisance, but for those loads that have to absolutely, positively stay dry they take a load off your mind if that load is plastic wrapped under the tarp. I agree 100% on the strap winder. A few pieces of old carpet are handy. Liked to have a small roll of that nonskid stuff for real light loads like foam insulation.

SHC Thanks this.
  10. ChiefNC

ChiefNC Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Hickory, NC
    I keep what I call a "Coil condom" lol. Its just a plastic bag that I put over my coils before I tarp them. I also agree with what everyone else suggested about a strap winder. Saves you a lot of hassle. Other than that, I just keep a small tool set in my truck. Never know when I might need something odd.

11. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I carry a couple stake pocket mount 4" ratchets. handy when you want to put a 4" strap but it winds up being on a wheel well where you can't slide a ratchet. easier and better IMO than the bolt on ones. I also carry a couple shorty chains with a regular hook on one end and a sort of D ring thing on the other. They come in handy for all sorts but too each their own. I would also insist on at least 2-4 ratchet binders, if your company only provides snap binders get a couple they fit in certain place a snap won't.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.