Specialty tools for egr cooler clean?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Misterpreston, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Misterpreston

Misterpreston Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Does anyone know if I need anything in particular to clean my egr myself? What tools and where I can find the cleaner needed. I have a paccar mx 13. I want to start cleanliness ng it myself to lower my cost. Thank you for the help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    There are special adapters made up to assist with cleaning the EGR cooler on the truck. Is this an EPA 10 engine or EPA13? EPA 10 is a low mount cooler below the turbo and I would highly suggest taking this in for cleaning as it would take way longer to pull it off for thorough cleaning than to flush it on the truck. Flushing attempts made on the truck without the adapters would not be worthwhile IMO. If EPA13 is a high mount on top and can be easily removed for thorough cleaning. Check with your local dealer to buy the recommended cleaning solution over the parts counter. It is water based but very caustic soap solution. Wear gloves and eye protection. Flush thoroughly with the solution and follow up with clean water and air dry. I suppose you might try a high concentration of Simple green or the like for an alternative.

HTH

Rolling18, burnsey and Misterpreston Thank this.
  4. burnsey

burnsey Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    seacoast, NH
    Are the adapters available from the Peterbilt dealer or through a specialty tool supplier?

5. Misterpreston

Misterpreston Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Yea I found a pete dealer that has a kit which includes the pump hoses and fittings for the egr for 700 i bought it last week waiting for them to get it in.

burnsey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.