specific numbering on placard

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Jay5GS, May 4, 2019.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Just by using the UN number we can not tell what it is. It could carbon,animal or vegetable, or it could charcoal either way they both have specific rules that you must obey. First it should be identified by NA instead of UN. That means it can only be shipped in the U.S..If it is Charcoal. If it is just Carbon,animal then the UN is proper.

There is a lot of confusion going on between placarding and labeling. Labeling is the marking on a container which goes into your box. Placarding is the marking of the truck forward and rearward. On the UN 3260 and UN 3261 it must be new because my CFR's 49 does not list it anywhere and my copy is from 1994. All I can tell you is when you have mixed up shipments the material that is the largest uses that placard. So the UN 3260 is to be placarded.

The most important item you should have are the the Shipping Papers. Every column on the shipping papers must be properly fill out. It's the shippers responsibility to ensure that happens and they are responsible to make sure you, the driver, get those papers. Do Not take the load if you do not have them. Do Not accept the load base on some phony papers they make up. I recommend that you get a copy of the CFR49 and keep it with you. On those shipping papers there is the proper shipping name. That name is the guide to everything.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    And you better have everything in the right order too.
    UN or NA Number, Proper Shipping Name, Hazard Class, and Packing Group in that order.

MACK E-6 and GasHauler Thank this.
  4. Jay5GS

Jay5GS Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    cool but not trying to make account ADRBOOK.com is helpful

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.