Specifics on leg strength requirements.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by trojanhed86, Jun 26, 2017.

1. trojanhed86

trojanhed86 Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Hey guys,
    I'm at the tail end of a nasty leg brake and trying to get back to work, all that stands in my way is the MED card.
    Now, Ive emailed the FED and (as usual)they gave me a run around and didnt answer my question.
    Hoping someone on here has some experience.
    The leg is mostly better, I may need a scope in a few months. I am using a cane to get around, and therapy is progressing nicely. I can single leg press 150lbs + and double leg 300lb+. Im mostly fighting atrophy in the smaller ligaments etc.

SO. I can climb up in a truck easy, I can mostly do the chair test, mostly running a clutch would just hurt. The stamina of the leg is the issue in that regard. I would also be limited to what heavy items I could carry long distances. On the same token however, I feel I could run wethose around a fuel truck easy.

So, obviously 1st out would be running auto to get strength back. I wouldnt want to lose that manual endorsement though!

*Jw if anyone has a related story to share in what they did at medical, at their job back, and any grief at DMV....
    *Any ideas of specfic strength #'s or repetition....
    *If left leg gimpy-ness would result in the dreaded auto-only stamp...

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    There's a manual endorsement? You already have the license correct? They aren't going to change it by going to the dr. I broke my L4 transverse process in a motorcycle accident 1 year before I started driving. I went straight into flatbed work with tmc.

My suggestion is don't baby it, but take it easy, that's all I did after my accident. 8 weeks after I was hauling 35lbs cinder blocks up ladders 2 at a time onto rooftops.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    What manual endorsement? Have you seen some of the people driving? Leg press 300 pounds? ROFLMFAO Some of these tubs couldn't even sit at the machine, or ready themselves at the squat rack or smith machine.

My body has all kinds of beating to it, always get a 2 year card. I have a torn ACL in my left leg, and I won't drive an auto.

You've nothing to worry about it.

5. doc43204

doc43204 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    OH

Indiana Jones famously said "it ain't the age, it's the mileage".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.