spec'ing 53' dry van

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rollin coal, Mar 4, 2014.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I've got about a year before I need it but I'm going to be buying a new trailer. Is it possible to get an air lift axle under the front tandem? Does it add a lot of weight compared to a typical van? Probably 80% of the miles I turn I'd be able to trailer around on a single axle cutting down on rolling resistance. I've seen a lot of spread axle flats with a front lift axle but never a van with tandem axles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    They are available. I saw an ad in Overdrive last month. Hendrickson has a fully automatic system called Smartlift. Link to the brochure.

Don't know about the weight, but I'd venture a guess it'd be a worthy trade off.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  4. kw550cat

kw550cat Medium Load Member

May 22, 2012
    brooklyn, new york
    You can get whatever you want if you have $. But yes you could get a spread axle van with a lift. There is no real difference underneath so you can get it. Weight wise, it should not be drastic, just another couple of hundred pounds.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I was thinking more about something that was manual lift/lower but that is a really much nicer setup. This will be my trailer for the next 10 years from the time I get it and I know the payoff will be there.

Only catch would be is if my '03 truck has ABS with automatic lift control feature. Would almost prefer a manual setup for simplicity sake.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  6. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    When you find out how much it costs extra, please share. I'm afraid to ask LOL

Steeleandsonfarms Thanks this.
  7. Winkjr

Winkjr Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Marlton NJ
    That's pretty neat

8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'm sure it won't be pretty but I'll shop it and see what I can do. I'll have a trailer nicer and worth more than my truck lol. But the payoff is there I know it. Used 53' vans are a dime a dozen but the devil is in the details with specs. I need certain things for what I do and have a enough customers who will not load older than 10 years trailer. If I could get by with a 2000 year model $3,000 trailer I certainly would. Lift axle seems like a no-brainer to save a lot of fuel.

9. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I remember there is a beverage cup manufacturer that has lift axles on their tractors and trailers. I think their rigs are black. In the midwest I think. So there's an example.

10. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  11. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    just out of curiosity

what type of floor and walls are you getting?

i spoke to a trailer repairman some years ago, he said the best thing out there is a wabash duraplate and a stoughton z plate

he also suggested keeping wood baseboards because once that metal starts to bend, its over

bbechtel16 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.