spec'ing 53' dry van

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rollin coal, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ISXunlike

ISXunlike Bobtail Member

May 12, 2013
    Cortez, CO
    For what it's worth.....I have a friend who switched his truck and trailer to wide base and loves it. He's been driving 40 plus years and still runs hard, all weather. We haul hopper freight, which if I recall you had some experience with so you know- heavy loads and not the best roads. He's getting .5 MPG better and hauling 800# more.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ISXunlike

ISXunlike Bobtail Member

May 12, 2013
    Cortez, CO
    I'm going to switch my truck and trailer when my duals are worn out. Oh, and they're not bad to mount. In fact, you can do it pretty easy without pulling the rim off. Only thing is they're kind of heavy.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    RubyEagle Thanks this.
  4. Road Boss

Road Boss Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Rollin Coal so did you decide on the spec on your trailer?

bbechtel16 Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I got the answers I was looking for. Going to talk with Utility and Great Dane dealers at the end of this summer and have one built exactly like I want it.

6. Road Boss

Road Boss Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    East Tennessee
    After reading this post you caught my interest in this.

7. bbechtel16

bbechtel16 Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    PA
    Rollincoal what did you buy? I was into the autolift but I talked to a driver that bought one and he said he had all kinds of problems with it that they couldn't figure out. He said the lift drops randomly going down the highway.

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I had a manual lift put on. I never use it anymore because the tires will scuff on a rough road. If it would lift another 2 inches higher it would be perfect. My suspension type wasn't recommended for a lift but I'm bull headed and did it anyway which was a dumb ### thing to do. A smart lift suspension raises up higher than mine and would have been the ticket. I'd rather have the smart lift. I run 45% empty miles and it sucks that I don't really use it. It's a good spec if you run big empty miles. Skirts will be a plus too. Sounds like that other driver got a lemon, stuff happens. If I get another new trailer in a few years it'll have a smart lift for sure.

bbechtel16 Thanks this.
  9. bbechtel16

Oct 13, 2009
    PA
    I'm renting a Utility 4000D-X Composite. 101" inside width. It is traditional construction but at that inside width can I claim it to be a plate van like they want for those wide loads?

10. Pup97

Pup97 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    Just wondering what the rent is a month? Do they do it by the month then a added charge per mile?

11. bbechtel16

Oct 13, 2009
    PA
    Yes. It is $400 plus 3.5 CPM.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.