Speed limiters......

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bigtruck860, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Bigtruck860

Bigtruck860 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2015
    How many o/o will retire their trucks because of this?

[​IMG]
    Speed Limiters Are Coming

It’s been coming for a long time and now it’s finally here. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is finally introducing legislation to require speed limiters in vehicles over 26,000 pounds... Read the full story here.

fordconvert Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Stand easy, it's just the classic Federal moving the cart before the horse long after the Industry have been limiting trucks.

If I remember correct this particular movement was the efforts of one or two legislators since Atlanta about 2006 It's taken a decade for it to be pushed through to where the Uncle Sam finally gets off his ### and grinds out the slow wheels of Law to reality.

At some point People are going to get out of Trucking. Been there done that and remember 1994 to boot. (CDL laws replacing all 50 state class A laws) There was a panic then too.

Immigrants will push the trucks from now on for a few years until they demand better wages. At that point robot trucks will run.

Will I still be out there runnign with them? I hope not. I can think of a thousand ways this will go badly for dear Uncle Sam.

thejackal and Bigtruck860 Thank this.
  4. fordconvert

fordconvert Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    nebraska
    When I was OTR with my own authority, I always kept my speed at 63 mph. BUT, it isn't just the speed limiters and
    e-logs that are making me think about scrapping my idea of getting back into an 18 wheeler ; it's the notion that these are not the end of the intrusive rules and regulations that are coming right into our own trucks.
    I became an O/O because of my independent attitude. I never have done well with the words "comply" and "submit". These new and forthcoming rules pretty much defeat the reasons of why one would become an independent O/O.
    We are becoming nothing more than babysitters for trucks.

Terry270, DrFlush, madman76 and 8 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I agree with Fordconvert.

There is supposed to be a certain amount of freedom that comes with the responsibility of trucking. But these laws and rules seriously erode it. Again Im glad Im out of it now for sure but lord knows I don't want people to be unsafe at all, but it's better they be safe before the lawmakers legally make a law requiring them to be safe on pain of prosecution and fines and prison.

What's next? Criminalizing being late? /rhetorical. Ive said enough, I know there are boundaries here and it ensures my silence when I try to explain further what is possible.

6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    If I can find a way to retire within the next 3 years... I will retire. This is just the straw that broke the camels back. I'm done as soon as I can find a way to retire.

jason6541, Dye Guardian and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    They are making it tougher for people to make money behind the wheel of a truck 11/14 hours a day, so that it will be an easier sell to get robots to drive the trucks 24 hours a day.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im retired. But not by choice. I guess I become a sort of warrior to do what I can with the knowledge flawed and obsolete as it is.

The hardest thing for me is to try and show something like a air dryer or whatever to help and be told computers take care of that figurately speaking and by extension Companies take care of that. Drivers dont touch. Dont mess with that dont fool with this...

We are not children *&&^%% part of what trucking is for me is working on the #### things. It almost removes my manhood to be told don't fix it. Someone in the office will take care of that. Sheesh.

See where Im going? Part of me says Im glad to be retired... NOW with both birds flying. Most of me don't like this retired life. But I will make use of it and will stay cheerful and help.

I'll go back under my soap box. Im not given to expressive talking it's not easy.

9. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    The FMCSA has gotten use to doing what they want without regard to outside statistics or opinions. To them, the comment period is simply a technicality they'll ignore. Everyone in that agency is bought and paid for by lobby and special interest groups. And over half the drivers out here will consider it a good idea or not bother to fight it or write their congressman. This will blaze through, relatively speaking. Then next up, mandatory driver facing cameras. The ATA and such will set them up and the FMCSA will knock them down.

1johnb, fordconvert and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    When fast trucks are outlawed, only outlaws will have fast trucks. YEEHAWW. ( firing pistols in the air)

11. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Here in Ontario Canada we are governed by law to 65 mph/ 105km/h, for 3-4 years already; I'm driving most of my miles in US, I don't see a problem. This trucks are heavy, lots of momentum and kinetic energy increasing exponentially with speed hard to stop.The roads are way more dangerous than 10 -15 years ago thx to wireless communication revolution, infested with over 70% of the drivers distracted on the phones, including truckers. On top of a safer roads , moderate speed around 60 mph gives better fuel economy and lower maintenance.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    z32sean, truckerman75103 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.