Speed limits?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Havikz73, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Havikz73

Havikz73 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2022
    The company I now drive for, since October 2021, is PTL Paschall Truck Lines, and it don't matter where in the country I'm picking up a load, but they always send a message, WARNING! (Whatever state I'm in) is cracking down on speeding. Now I know these are probably automated, but it don't matter what city state I'm in, nobody seems to obey the speed limit. I may be one of the few left that does. We'll say I'm going through a construction zone. Speed limit 55. I may do 58 to 60. even though I know that's wrong, In construction zones one should do the Exact Speed Limit. But, But everyone else trucks, cars and buses all fly past me like I'm sitting still. Even in my personal car, I only do 3 to 5 miles over the posted speed limit. That's just me. And as far as I'd last checked, the posted speed limit Is The Law.
    So I don't get, the four wheelers whatever they're not professionals. But I don't understand why or how truck drivers aren't obeying the speed limits.
    I mean I understand, since covid-19 started, law enforcement really hasn't been enforcing the traffic laws like they used to before the pandemic started. And who knows once all this is said and done with, they may go back to enforcing the laws like they used to. But that doesn't mean truckers have a free ticket. A Get Out Of Jail card to break the law. Professionals should always act Professional..
    And trust me I already know, just because they drive a big truck doesn't mean they're professional...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Truckers speeding through construction zones and school zones has always been a problem.
    I always do the exact speed limit through those zones. Sure, been cursed at 100's of times from other truckers, so I don't acknowledge anything they say. One time one told me, "I have a truck payment to make and won't be able to if I drive the speed limit." I didn't even answer him and ignored all ignorant remarks on the CB radio.
    I've had some pull up beside me in the construction zone and blow their air horn. When I looked over they gave me the finger. I don't care and ignored them.

4. PiscesLuv

PiscesLuv Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2019
    Dallas,Tx
    Just stay in the right lane most of us don’t have alerts like that especially us owner ops. Now speeding in a construction zone I don’t really do but if it’s just a regular highway if the speed limit is 65 I’m probably doing 72 if it’s 70 I’m probably doing 77 or 78

Bean Jr. and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'm like you and that I tend to stick pretty close to the speed limit. And, because of that usually the slowest vehicle on the road.
    I gave up even thinking about it a long time ago. If they want to speed, the ticket is their's., not mine. And, hopefully, they don't get into an accident.
    I do try to not make myself into a nuisance or hazard for others by driving in the most correct lane for being slow, etc. But, it is what it is. I'm not going to stretch myself much out of the zone I think is appropriate to accommodate others. If I end up with cars jammed up behind me, I'll pull over when and where I can to let them by. But, I'm not going to do something I think unsafe or potentially ticketable because of others impatience.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    When the new CDL truck driver license came out l got a 51mph in a 35 zone on a 4 lane, with my brand new cdl in my pocket but l was driving my white model Wstar and I drove the posted speed for almost 2yrs and I was trying to lease on to another co and had to go to get a MVR report and it showed me driving a Pick up truck not a 5 axle truck so no problem getting on with the new co. and I have kept driving at or around the speed limit and I have a thing on my wall no tic. for 10 years working for same company?

Kyle G. and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Speed limit or not, four wheelers and truckdrivers are driving like fuel is on the dollar a gallon.

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    No stop signs
    Speed limits
    Nobody gonna slow me down.

Like a wheel
    Goin spinnin
    Nobody gonna mess me around

9. PChase

PChase Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Show Me State
    work zone?
    big wide long vehicle?
    narrower lanes?
    bumpy lumpy road surface?
    sudden quick lane divergences ?
    workers in close proximity?

go less than the speed limit. if the work zone speed limit says “55” then go 50 or even 45

No load of frozen toaster waffles will ever be worth more than human life

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.