Speedco Pricing me out

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JonJon78, Jan 16, 2020.

1. dosgatos

dosgatos Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Have that valve, very handy.
    Every month at home change oil and new oil and fuel filters for $190.
    Twice a year change the bypass filter for $60.
    Recycling center pays 60 cents a gal for the oil and takes the old filters and jugs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I’ve thought about getting a drain valve, but I’m afraid of road debris knocking it out.

Doealex, Swine hauler and mhyn Thank this.
  4. dosgatos

dosgatos Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2012
    You'd loose more than the valve if something took it out. Like your bumper maybe? I carry the original drain plug in a tool bag on the truck. Not sure what good it would be. Also an expanding tapered rubber plug.

PE_T Thanks this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I’ve hit stuff and not noticed it. My rear air tank once hit something and the bracket broke. Two of my air tanks have the drain valves knocked out. There used to be a ring in each one of them. Apparently this is common as I’ve seen a YouTuber have the same problem.

Doealex Thanks this.
  6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

All of our trucks have those valves on them. But they are now secured with a hose clamp. One of our former drivers hit a cat (so he says) and opened the valve. Drained all but 2 gallons of oil out until the idiot light came on. The engine had less than 1000 miles on a rebuild at the time. Thankfully, no damage was done.

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Turn the drain tab up, not as easy to accidently open.
    I had a truck with the drain valve on it. I drove thru the snow heap the plow runs in front of my driveway, every time they plow the snow.
    Well I can tell you a Cummins BC4 will travel about 10 miles at 55 before it starts to act like the fuel is gelling and coast another 1 mile to the truck stop parking lot. AS the motor seizes up from lack of sufficient supply of oil!.
    Good thing them old COE were so cheap. Had another one within a week. I think it cost $4k to buy.
    I do have a drain valve on my current truck. It also has a low oil alarm and shut off.

My drain oil I sell to a local shop that has an oil burning furnace. There is also a guy that will come around and pay $1.00 a gallon.

I had an oil change done at Sapp's in Harrisonville, MO. couple months back. The price was $239.00. I have a N14 so I guess the filters are cheaper? For the price I like their product.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    D.Tibbitt, Doealex, PE_T and 3 others Thank this.
  8. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    They plan on building 50 a year for five years. And it family pwned like wal mart

Doealex and JonJon78 Thank this.
  9. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Deer will do it.

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I've priced the filters for all 3 it would be around $105 plus the oil $130... So roughly $235.

Advanced auto parts and Autozone websites say they take oil free of charge...

I change my oil Every 12,000. I know everyone does it at different intervals. So I would be saving $2k or so a year doing it myself...

That's a lot of $$$.

11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Make sure you’re getting the recommended oil by your engine manual. I can buy very cheap oil (15w40) from Walmart, but that oil is for older trucks. Mine recommends 10w30, and Walmart only carries the 1 gal in stores. I would need to order it in advance to buy more gallons, but the savings is only like $10. 10w30 is usually sold as synthetic blend, while 15w40 is conventional oil. If you will be holding onto your truck for a very long time, you want at least synthetic blend.

JonJon78 and Swine hauler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.