Speedco rip off

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Roadhound, May 4, 2011.

1. Roadhound

Roadhound Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Tennessee
    I had my truck serviced the other day at the Speedco in Whiteland, IN and it was the most expensive oil change I've ever had done.

During the fluid checks, the mechanic tells me my transmission oil is low, so I say top it off. He said he had to put 12 pints in it. I kinda found that hard to believe, since I just had the transmission service a few months ago and there are no visible leaks anywhere. Well, I just assumed when it was serviced that it wasn't completely filled. This is what made me blow a gasket... they charged me $75 for 12 pints of synthetic trans oil! That is completely ridiculous. I had the whole transmission serviced for $120. I will not be back to ANY Speedco again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The 12 pints low does sound fishy, but have you priced synthetic 50w? It is $6-8 or more per pint/liter. Your original service cost of $120 sounds kinda cheap to begin with. $120 for just the oil?

Roadhound Thanks this.
  4. Roadhound

Roadhound Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Tennessee
    Well, I had it serviced along with a PM service, so there may have been some discount in there. And to be honest, I didn't realize the 50W synthetic oil had gotton so high. But in my defense, they didn't tell me it was that high, until I paid the bill. And I noticed that the upcharge they charge for Cat filters is as much as what I can buy the filters for myself. I just thought it was ridiculous to have to pay $384 for an oil change.

5. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I was going to say, for $120??? maybe that's why they didn't put an oil in the case LOL.....

Seriously tho, $384 for an oil change is a bit crazy. I have never used a speedco but had been thinking about it since the TA i go to just upped their price for the Ultimate PM to $285 out the door!

A Spinner 2 or Gulf Coast is looking better and better!

6. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Was the $384 for the oil change and oil for the trans? Speedco is a little high, but you pay for them getting you in and out, not sitting at a truckstop waiting in line for hours.

I pay around $300 for an oil change at a shop in SE Atlanta, and I have them put CAT filters on.

7. Moving on Down the Road

Moving on Down the Road Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    KY
    Oh joy.... reading this while sitting in a Speedco bay getting oil change right now. Have oil but it wouldn't stop raining long enough at home to get it changed before we left. Hoping for some mercy but considering the increase in the cost of oil when we bought it before we left, I am not expecting any more mercy than what I get at the fuel pumps. Truckers truly do their share to fight unemployment wherever it exists!

8. Moving on Down the Road

Moving on Down the Road Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    KY
    As a side note ...I'm not noticing anybody moving at lightning pace - more like a snail's crawl. Maybe a name change is in order. Let me think of one, I am sure I have time.

9. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    KindaSpeedCo ?

SHC and scatruck Thank this.
  10. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    But... they at least have a clue about what they're doing at SpeedCo - unlike TA and Petro.

TA guy... "Huh, whaddya mean use a tork rench?" Like he actually even knew what a torque wrench was.

11. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I like speedco better than any other show most the time im out the door in a hour i always do truck and trailer last time i did a cap and air filter one rear was 2 pints low the bill out the door was $360 i dont think thats bad

And they really check everything and grease

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.