Speeding downhill and getting stopped.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Bobblehead, Mar 16, 2023.

1. jaffles

jaffles Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Australia
    Just being the tax collecting dicks that they are. Too hard to drive around picking on the distracted crowd, not enough staff apparently.

So in my neck the woods they like to utalise that same dick to sit in car listening to a camera clicking. Its a given 95%+ of the time speed cameras are located on down hill runs of straight road. Never at high crash black spots. They rarely resurface, straighten, or guard rail black spots as well. Just more cameras within 5km of it to beat you into road safety.

For the flats around population we seem to have a growing trend of road speeds that jump all over the place. They are often short in length but you end up confused and guessing. Low and behold that is where you find another dick with his hand on it.

I do get a giggle however before the snarl when I find one of these dicks on my tail. In the name of safety and not exceeding the speed limit, I drag the brakes down the declines, crawl up the other side, then drag again. Or just go the lowest speed in the guessing zones. Oddly enough within under a minute they usually use their lights to break the rules to go round me.

Just the #### in your day you deal with trucking.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    You got lucky. He pulled you over just to tell you to slow down. I believe that they are required to run your license and check insurance anytime they pull someone over.

He was also just letting Headquarters know that he was doing his job and not sleeping :)

I won’t lecture you about speeding downhill but…There is one mountain downgrade in Montana heading east that’s posted 25 mph. I personally think that it’s absolutely ridiculous but I don’t screw around on that one.
    Some day they’ll be watching and it will be the last day of trucking for a whole bunch of drivers.
    I feel like an idiot doing the 25 when almost everyone else is running 60-70 mph + on it.

4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Depends are where you are. In some areas even the “County Mounties” can have certified DOT officers looking for commercial vehicle violations(see Pennsylvania and Illinois).
    Usually all it takes for that to happen is a CMV going down a prohibited road!

The Railsplitter and bzinger Thank this.
  5. The Green Mountain

The Green Mountain Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2022
    Maine
    And the dang sign indicating as much is about 300 yards down it.... Call for help: screwed; keep on going: roll of the dice.

The Railsplitter and mjd4277 Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Harrington DE has a “no trucks over 2 axles” zone going through town. Now, the fine print on the sign says “...except local deliveries”, which the town clowns ignore with impunity. You could be in the process of unloading an engine and one of those pricks will come along and write you a $500 ticket.

7. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    There are a few places around Norfolk,Virginia that are like that as well. A certain Oberweis Dairy warehouse comes to mind…

The Railsplitter, bzinger and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  8. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    That pretty much describes Bethlehem Township,Upper and Lower Macungie Townships (all in Pennsylvania) on a good day!

The Railsplitter and bzinger Thank this.
  9. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I'd rather get stopped by state trooper than a local or sheriff's deputy, the trooper, 99% of the time knows that law as it applies to CMV's, and they aren't as likely to be on a fishing expedition, and depending on the trooper they'll probably let you off with a warning. Locals and deputies, unless they are properly trained, are typically going to look for the obvious or go fishing. Few years back, wife's nephew was a local cop, he and I got into on Christmas eve about what he did and didn't know regarding CMV enforcement, next day, I brought a log book that I knew had three violations (three form violations: forgot to sign a page, forgot to record the correct date, forgot to record total miles). Handed the book to him, all I said was go fishing, after an hour he gave it back to me and said he didn't find anything. I handed it to his Dad, a 27 yr veteran officer, he reviewed it, found all 3 violations. I suggested to my nephew that he might want to finish his training before he starts picking on CMV's.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.