Speeding thru truckstops

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Powder Joints, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    There seems to be 2 new sports here in the west, 1 speeding and passing moving trucks in truckstop, And blocking other trucks in because you can't find a parking space.

Both of these are totally unexceptable, there is no reason to pass a moving truck on the way to the fuel islands, this is just asking for a rude confrontation or accident. I had a CRST truck do this to me at the Pilot in Williams AZ on 40, I just made a quick left in front of him, then he confronted me at the fuel island stating I cut him off, told him to go away showed him my mace and he went back to his truck, Just not need and totally not acceptable, also sent the gopro footage to CRST safety so they could have a good laugh at there drivers expense.

The other at FlyingJ in Goodyear AZ woke up to find a England truck parked blocking 10 or so of us in, knocked on his door and he was trying to claim his safety manager told him to park where ever, just park. Well with a minor amount of planning theres no reason for this either, explained to him I was leaving he could have my place, he was convienced if he moved his truck at all he would go into violation, In this case kind of hated to, but I needed to leave to me ontime myself, so I called there safety office, they sent him something on his qualcomm or peoplenet what ever they use, maybe smoke-signals, but he finally agreed to move but was afraid to put it in my space, new driver so I parked his truck for him. What happened to training.

If you need help drivers dont create stories just ask most of us ole sharts will help you, we were whipper snappers at one time ya know.

HD_Renegade, skellr, x1Heavy and 13 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    A lot of the ultra slow trucks are trucks gaming the low-speed threshold ELD's, trying to preserve breaks and keep speed under 5 or 25 mph, or wherever the Drive trigger threshold is set at. It's BS if you ask me. I will pass these idiots if an opportunity presents itself as opposed to having to follow them for a 1/4 mile.

As far as the fast trucks in truck stops. I estimate 2/3 are just idiots, and the other 1/3 are other types of idiots, trying to conserve ELD time.

Intersting, both have ELD's as a likely contributing factor.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  4. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    25(2)+2 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I think some of them have tunnel vision and don’t see or care that people are walking here.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    This is why “yard move” functionality is a necessity.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That's what the ridiculous 5 mph threshold parameter is supposedly addressing in the mean time. But it's stupid. We're presently at 25 mph, but that's where I draw the line. Any lower, I'm gone. Who can effectively traverse vast properties at 4 mph? It's stupid on multiple levels.

villageidiot, Jazz1, Bean Jr. and 3 others Thank this.
  8. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    It's because they don't have basic commonsense and were not trained by someone with any either.
    So they also weren't taught parking lot etiquette.

9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Some of the reasons I try not to use truck stops.

NavigatorWife and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  10. Milr72

Milr72 Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    S W Missouri
    I'm so glad I retired 12 years ago!

bzinger, Lepton1, pmdriver and 4 others Thank this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Got this way beat, but not in truck stop.

Yesterday PRIDE passed me going up the grade, the first of the four before Canyonville.

Except he decided to do it in the emergency lane.

Then he ran out of room.

No where for me to go, hammer lane line of cars. He just missed me by inches, I do mean inches, as I was backing off at 30 mph so he could get over and get up that 2 mile pull at 40 mph.

Just another just wow moment on the best coast.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.