Speeding ticket

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RANDO1, Dec 31, 2015.

1. RANDO1

RANDO1 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    I don't know if this belongs under this thread, but I have a question .
    I'm 20 yrs Old turn 21 on the 13th of January, and I'm highly considering this trucking career , so I'm looking in to schools that'll pay for my training but that's besides the point here . I have one draw back. When I was 18 on 1/8/14 I got a speeding ticket going 75 on 50 , and I know that I look back at it I should've fought the ticket but being at that age I didn't think it would affect me so much , so my question is do you think any schools will take me , even though the ticket it's about to be 2 years old .

Lastly I appreciate the help and honesty

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Road Train Member

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    Youre pretty much screwed for the time being. I wish i were in your shoes. Youre so young if i were you id join UPS and work the warehouse as a loader or something. Put 2-3 years under your belt in the company (thats usually how long it takes to be able to put your name in for a driver), then (now this is depending on your states laws im just speaking for cali) purge your record and put your request in to become a driver. Youll make more than most owner ops do.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Apply to several and find out.
    Which state do you live in?

If worse comes to worse, you may get tuition paid by the state, then several companies will hire you. Some will even give you a pre-hire letter if the school requests it.

RANDO1 Thanks this.
  5. RANDO1

RANDO1 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    I live in New York State , reside in the city .
    And if it's not too much to ask what are the best schools to attend out of my location

6. RANDO1

RANDO1 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Sounds like a good idea thanks man , I reside in ny , can't be any better than Cali . ny rules are the worst . But I deff learn my lesson

GenericUserName Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check around for the cheapest 160 hrs. school. If the school requires a pre-hire letter, let us know and we'll give you a few company names.

Western Express sometimes hires drivers with a bad MVR or even felons. They also have their own CDL school in Nashville, TN. They will pay your transportation to Nashville and provide hotel room and meals while attending their school.
    Do the online application.

RANDO1 Thanks this.
  8. GenericUserName

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    I just looked up NY's laws. Tickets stay on your record for 4 years. Thats perfect. You have two years. Join UPS and by the time you are 24-25 you will be set if you play your cards right. Local Class A UPS drivers make about 150k. Their Long Haul drivers make 250+k

UPS has their own trucking school so they take care of everything for you.

RANDO1 Thanks this.
  9. RANDO1

RANDO1 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you for the support , happy new year to you and your family

10. GenericUserName

May 17, 2014
    Santa Monica, CA
    Happy New Year brother

Be smart, and the world is yours.

RANDO1 Thanks this.
  11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You've got a couple of issues here. One is your age. Most companies will not hire anyone under 23. That's not to say you won't be hired, just expect that issue. And the speeding ticket. That's 25mph over and considered reckless by just about all companies. Remember those when you apply for a driving job.

If you can find a loan or get the money elsewhere it would be best. You can read on this site where a lot of drivers have gone through a company owned school and then being trap to that company until they pay the school fees back. And end up hating the job for it. If you have to you can do it but don't expect great pay and expect the lowest of driving jobs. However, if you do go that way and are able to stick the time out with a clean record you'll be employable by just about all the companies. But check out the write-ups and learn from them.

Your ticket will be frown upon but one is not a deal killer. If you find a company you like be aware that if you file an application over the net the company will only know you for having one ticket that's bad. So if they hold up your application against another driver that has a clean record guess who they'll pick?

Do as much research as you can because in this line of work the more you put into the job the more you'll get out. Don't trust the recruiters they work for another reason and not you. Go out and find the knowledge you need by hard work. I always tell a new driver that you should sit down and make a list of your wants and needs. There's a lot more than you think about a job driving. Like what type of trucking would you like? A flatbed, tanker, refer, and so on. I could go on for awhile on the different types there are to the job but you need to be educated. I started out making a list for 1 year, 5 years, 10 years , and up to retirement.

Your first part is to find the school that fits your needs and wants. Study all the school has to offer and then go learn. Expect your monies worth and no less. Remember this is a lifestyle and not just a job. Some can handle it and some can not. Good luck and good hunting.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.