Speedometer Reading all over the place

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Night Train Logistics, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Night Train Logistics

Night Train Logistics Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Fort Payne, AL
    Thanks ahead of time to all that respond.

2002 387 Peterbilt, C-15 Cat 475HP Eaton Fuller 10 Speed,,,

Let,s say according to my gps says I am going 65 mph,,,,,Meanwhile the speedometer needle is jumping from 35 to 55 to 25 to 5 to 45 to 0 to 60 to 15 to all over the place and the mileage counter has stopped working....Cruise control will only work/set when idling,,,,, PLEASE what parts need replacing ,,,, A new speedometer,,,from Peterbilt $600.00 was one quote I got ,, Please Help,,,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tk40176

tk40176 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sounds like the Speed sensor is on it's way out.

4. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Medium Load Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Poquoson, VA
    It is the Speed Sensor, One way to check it for sure if you are in a Governed truck it will go faster than it has ever before, BE CAREFUL your company may have some S Rule against overspeed... It is simple to reset temporarily The truck needs to be shut off completely wait 5 minutes and turn the ignition on (DO NOT CRANK THE MOTOR) let all the lights go out repeat this step 3 times take a few minutes then crank the truck it should reset the Speed Sensor if it does not you will have to get it in the shop, it should not prevent you from driving it will screw you up if you do not have GPS map program to show you your actual speed..
    Keep in mind Faulty Equipment is not an excuse for speeding, and even if you fight it in court it goes against your CSA.. Just saying from experience with the same problem the Judge was easy on me but is showed up on my CSA score....

5. just do it

just do it Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Did you ever find out whats was wrong i got the problem?

6. Night Train Logistics

Night Train Logistics Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Fort Payne, AL
    Thanks guys for all your advice,,

I am thinking I need to run the trouble codes.

I will post what was wrong as soon as I can find out... Happy Trails to all..

7. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Yep, sounbds like just the speed sensor. It's located on the tail of the transmission and gets it's readings from a magnet in the tip of it. The driveshaft has a small looking "gear" and the magnet picks up the "nubs" on the gear as it passes by. SOmetimes it just needs wiped off as small amounts of metal can get on the end of the sensor and block it for reading, but it will most likely need to be changed.

Be careful when changing it as well as they are usually made of plastic or pot-metal and will break in the holder when you try to unscrew them. You will see what I'm talking about when you climb up under the truck.

8. puncher

puncher Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Tn.
    If the newer ones are like the old ones you can adjust them by unplugging the sensor harness and loosening the jam nut then screw the sensor all the way in then back it back out just the slightest (very little) then tighten the jam nut back down, and plug back up.

9. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    The sensor I back it out 1/4 turn. there are two sets of two wires, one will be at about 900 ohms and the other at 1200 Ohms the lower one goes to the ECM the other to the speedometer.
    The sensor could be damaged from the tail-shaft bearing being loose or the 16 tooth gear could be loose from a loose yoke nut. I take the sensor out out and look and clean the sensor, then take a flat screw driver and pry on the gear if it moves, it needs repair.

10. Big Lou

Big Lou Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Tampa, Florida
    Hey guys need help with my speed sensor it broke apart when trying to get it out! It is stuck in the housing. I am afraid to drill it because all the material from drilling will go into the transmission. Any advice.

11. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    You need to drop the driveshaft, pull the yoke off to get the housing off. Another option may be if you have a second hole for a sensor that is plugged. If you do, just put the new sensor in that hole.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.