Speedometer reads 20 to 60mph while sitting still

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by jagla, Apr 1, 2018.

1. jagla

jagla Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2014
    1998 Western Star 4764FX with a 3406E cat engine. Electronic speedometer will jump all over the place when idling or running above idle when the trucks not moving. I like to bump up the idle with the cruise control to warm up the engine but if i do that now the rpm goes sky high like its going to over rev. When running down the road the speedo stays at the speed I set and the cruise control works fine. The only problem is at idle. Occasionally it will sit at zero but very rarely. Has anyone else seen this problem? Any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    Just a stab in the dark because I am not certain how a 98 Western Star is wired but what may be happening is when the truck is in motion the speedometer is reading off the wheel speed sensors but when stopped it may be looking at the transmission or tach signal to determine if the engine is running, if one of those sensors is failing or has a loose connection it might be able to cause your symptom.

I do know that on peterbilts of that era the plug in for the speedo and tach behind the dash gets loose with age and causes erratic readings, I have had to use a small zip tie to pull the connectors sideways to keep them connecting well on several older trucks but the symptoms never went away when in motion on those.

4. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Any recent repairs? New speedo gauge?
    Usually this is caused by electrical interference if it works perfect down the road but is reading erratic when parked. For awhile the new amtek 900 series speedos were made too sensitive and did exactly this. They then fixed up the speedos and the new new ones do not have these issues.
    Check for a loose yoke and follow the wiring up to the engine looking for any rub spots or corrosion.

5. jagla

jagla Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Thanks. Ill give that a try.

6. jagla

jagla Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2014
    I just bought the truck and when i asked the old owner how long it had been doing that he said he never saw it before. But he also said he just did some brake work and that turned out to be false so who knows. Ill play around with it some more and see if i can figure it out. Thanks for the input.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.