Spindle and welding question

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Truckercali19, Mar 17, 2019.

1. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    Google; speedi-sleeve...

mhyn and daf105paccar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    I used to take a torch to the shoes to draw the greez out of them, I guess in the times of liability and lawsuits that is a no no.I'm wondering how long before they put warning labels on toilet paper, the cheap stuff that is. I know I'm an A-hole, my wife tells me all the time.

4. Tombstone69

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    I guess you've never seen a spindle damaged beyond repair, any heat damage or damage to the threads, spindle must go. It doesn't take long to happen once the oil isn't feeding to the hub. That's why pretrip inspections are so important, so you can keep problems like that from becoming major problems. If you've ever seen anyone killed by a wayward set of tires you'd know what I'm saying, it's not pretty.

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Your not a A hole.....

Its not safe because the friction material is compromised as soon as they are soaked, nothing can be done to extract it and make new again. They will never stop the same.

You can do it on your own truck, just please dont recommend it to others when it's not correct or safe to do so.

6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    And is it really worth it concidering how much (how little) a set off shoes cost?

spsauerland and Tombstone69 Thank this.
  7. Tombstone69

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    You're absolutely right, at about 160$ a wheel,shoes and drums, it's not worth it to reuse saturated shoes, just living in the past, days of working for people that could squeeze a dime out of a nickel.I can remember the last time I did it. OOS outside Newtown, Ct, I-84 scalehouse, did a 4wheel brake job in the rest area, the kid that owned the shop had never done brakes on a trailer, he supplied the tools and parts, I the knowledge and we split the labor. Boss man was not happy about the bill, I made a nice days pay, lol. We could only get 3 sets of shoes and the best set on the trailer were wet, cleaned up good with some brakeclean and a torch and put them on. Oh the joys of trucking. That was in 86', things were a lot different back then. I keep forgetting I'm in the future where everything's a phone call or computer away.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I have cleaned and reused them many times. I can say never had problems. nothing happens with friction material.

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  9. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You are being risky and will have increased stopping distances for sure, however minor or noticable.

No brake manufacturer in NA recommends reuse of brake linings with fluid contamination, silicone or petroleum based or otherwise.

Tombstone69 and daf105paccar Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Replace a spindle?

Sorry ... we use speedi sleeves when this comes up, I've been using them for years.

NEVER let a mechanic gouge a spindle to keep a bearing from spinning, that causes other problems.

As for brake shoes, replace them on the axle, reusing them when they are oil soaked is a sign of being a cheap owner.

haycarter and daf105paccar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.