Split Sleeper Confusion with Company Regulations

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Fae, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Fae

Fae Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2021
    Pueblo, CO
    Hello, everyone. I am constantly reading here but barely post. However this one has completely stumped me and there is zero information on Google at all about it (no matter how I phrase it, all I get are tutorials on how to split a clock).

I am very experienced in how to properly use split sleeper, and it has saved me many-a-time when sitting at a dock burning off my 14. The split has consistently allowed me to rest during that time, pause my 14, and be able to be stres free about moving on after getting loaded. It has also saved me when dealing with inclement weather.

My reason for the post is a question. Can a company block a driver from using split sleeper? I just switched companies and found out they do not allow their drivers to use any split sleeper capabilities. I understand companies having leeway on personal conveyance, but I thought split sleeper was supposed to be something all drivers had access to as long as they are in a qualified sleeper truck, which I am, and on qualified HoS rules, which I also am (70 hour standard).

Anyone out there, can you lead me to any actual regulations that confirm or deny if a company can prevent drivers from using split sleeper?

Thank you, all, and as always stay safe out there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dave01282000

dave01282000 Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    Like you I'd heard of some companies not allowing PC but hadn't heard the same about split sleeper.

I don't know how you could even do reefer without being able to split...I had a number of times where it was the only way to legally deliver on time.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Let's ask it this way. What in the regulations / law requires companies to allow split sleeper?

Companies can have any policy they want, as long as it doesn't violate law. A company wants to make a policy all drivers can only drive 6 hours per day? Perfectly legal.
    Same with the sleeper berth restriction. Company doesn't allow sleeper is fine. Hopefully for your sake they have other policies to address times when a split is useful.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    Numb Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.